When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP V3 Diver - swiss ETA install

I got the movement from a watch that a friend just gave me to see if I could fix. I opened it up and sure enough there it was, ETA 2824-2 (I think it's legit). Turns out it had a jammed up keyless works (like my JLC I just fixed) and a bent stem.

I wanted to see what it would take to get it in one of my watches after I got it fixed, so I chose the V3 Diver for the experiment. It went pretty smooth. All hands fit nicely. Then only tip I'd have is that the rep datewheel may not line up so if this is the case then just use the datewheel position spring (or whatever it's called) from the asian movement cuz they are slightly different lengths.

So now I have a nice movement in my AP, and I have a new stem on the way to stick the A-2824 movement back into his watch to fix it. I think the ETA for me is payment enough... but I'll still get a few beers out of it too I think ;)

IMG_20120727_093311.jpg

Different length springs (asian on left, swiss on right):

IMG_20120727_104926.jpg

IMG_20120727_113124.jpg

IMG_20120727_120223.jpg

The ETA rotor is also a lot quieter and smoother than the rep:

IMG_20120727_121143.jpg

IMG_20120727_122323.jpg

Gratuitous wrist shot:

IMG_20120727_122817.jpg

• Like 1

Some more fun; I was wearing the watch today and it took a ding to the bezel at 4-oclock that made me want to cry, so I took the whole top apart to see if I could minimize the damage. I was able to re-brush the bezel and its hardly noticeable now, thank god!

I did manage to take one pic that I though was interesting: the gasket between the bezel and main case is very different than the sec@12 models. It does not overlap the bezel screw holes. I know that some guys remove the bezel screw gasket o-rings in order to lower the screws to make it more gen-like, but because the bezel gasket does not overlap the screw holes removing these o-rings can hurt water resistance, unless sealed otherwise... so probably best to leave those o-rings in if you plan on swimming ;)

Also, the crystal is the same diameter as the bezel opening so it's possible to press it straight through, like I did the 1st time. So easy on the pressure when pressing it back in. I just used my thumbs to get the perfect rise.

IMG_20120728_115744.jpg

PS: sec@12 AP bezel screws are different proportions and not compatible with the V3 Diver (they are longer/thicker). So if you need replacement screws be sure to specify what model they are for.