When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMTIIC Crown/tube

panerai153

I'm trying to find out what Crown/tube is correct for the GMTIIC? How close is the rep crown, and would it be a worthwhile investment to change the crown/tube?

i just got in a very nice GMTIIC, and I'm planning to replace the crystal with a genuine, get the movement serviced and possibly have the dial/hands superlumed. This watch is supposed to have a superlumed dila/hands, but I'm not really impressed with hte lume.

The tube on the NOOB GMT C will accept a gen crown, but IMO opinion it's not worth the change. The rep crown is not too bad and the rep GMT C has some flaws that are more obvious than the crown.

Actually, I think that the rep GMT C is one of those watches that you can just leave as it is and just wear it.

It's a very nice out the box rep, but even with heavy modding it can be spoted as a rep in less than five seconds by some one who is familiar with modern rolex watches.

Even if you have it relumed the hour markers will be to small compared to the gen, and if you replace the crystal the date font will still be off and the wrong size, also if you have the movement serviced it will still have the wrong hand stack, though the hand stack problem is not very obvious.

And if you spend time and money to get all of these flaws fixed, gen dial, BK date wheel, gen crystal and gen crown, the bezel will still feel wrong when you turn it compared to the gen and i don't think there's really a way to fix that, since the bezel construction can't be taken apart without damaging it.

Oh and speaking of the bezel, the rep bezel insert is really nice but the engravings are not deep enough and slightly wrong font style compared to the gen and instead of platinum filling they have white/grey paint. A gen insert is almost impossible to source and probably super expensive if you ever find one.

So, IMO the rep GMT II C is a great beater watch, but modding money should perhaps be spent on reps with better potential. Of course, this is just my two cents. I hope you enjoy the watch either way, I know i do. :)

Edited by Robaer

Even if you have it relumed the hour markers will be to small compared to the gen, and if you replace the crystal the date font will still be off and the wrong size, also if you have the movement serviced it will still have the wrong hand stack, though the hand stack problem is not very obvious.

I have a correct-hand-stack with BK DWO superlumed GMT IIC ;) gonna try to fit a gen crystal tomorrow I think

Thanks for the help. Since I already have a genuine crystal, I'll certainly do that swap.

I've had spotty luck trying to fit gen crystals to GMT IIc reps. Anything can be made to fit if you're willing to glue, of course...