When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 329

DamonHorse

Hello All

I find myself constantly drawn back to the PAM 329 and have two questions that I hope you'll indulge and answer!

Firstly how accurate is this model - i know the movement isn't correct and it has a display back (more on which in question 2) but otherwsie how does it stack up?

I would always use Trusty and as such here is a link to the page that his two models are on.

http://www.ttw168.co...pam 329&x=0&y=0

Secondly there is an Asian 7750 and an Asian Seagul option and I wonder which is best as Ive not come across the Seagul before so any info on it would be good.

I'd likely go for it as it's more money and I usually assume this is the way for a reason.

Thanks in advacne for any answers on this.

• Like 1

People will quibble this way and that on the so called accuracy on the 300 3 day 1950 Range. I wore mine in a Pawn shop that sold reps and gens and I gave it to the guy behind the counter whilst I tried on some gen Rollies , he said very nice watch and didn't know it was a rep until he turned it over, and went shame about the movement. Until recently this has been the Panerai from my collection that has had the most wrist time. Sadly I have recently developed an issue with the Date due to my own fault of not adjusting the time before or after 10 & 2. It still turns over at 12 but cannot be changed manually though not critical more than a tad frustrating . The A7750 is the better version to get .

Here is my 312 on a gen oem strap.

p1020026py.jpg

p1020045i.jpg

p1020032ak.jpg

It's a nice thing isn't it!

Interesting about the 7750 being the one to get - I've never seen or head of the seagull movement before so I wonder why they have put it in to this?

I tend to go for bracelets as the straps are so poor and paying out mad money for a gen strap upsets me! But I definitely think this may be the way to go actually.

Thanks for the help - it is much appreciated.

Also didn't know about the 10 - 2 date change thing so I need to start doing that!!

The build quality on these aint great ... consistency is a common issue from QC to the wrist and wearing it... The maker does not have a great reputation they even F**ked up the gen used to make these !!!

Watch out for the movements... some are terrible... so be prepared to service it ... though you should with all OTB reps.. ;) Also some vary in BPH.. lo and Hi

Accuracy aint great if you know PAMs.... but it all depends where you wear it as with any rep most people wouldnt know a decent rep from a gen if you smacked em over the head with it....

As with any rep its more about people judging you rather than the rep.... I always got wry looks and comments with my gens... because people tended to judge me by my appearance

The other biggie for me apart from the QC issue of it (ie varying coluring) is the lume.... its not SL... its clearly not a PAM when it charges even in DL... but again thats anal I guess...

DH, I've had a reasonable number of replica watches from different brands from the various XYZ factories through my hands. These have ranged from below $100 to $1200+. I, and me thinks most normal people wouldn't see this as being a low quality watches . Infact on the wrist it strikes quite a presence.

I hear your reservations on the strap. A colleague of mine has the same watch and has kept in on rep strap, standing next to him in the lift you really cannot tell. They are not that bad , but not that great and easily bettered.

I think the bracelet is a really great value option, I should of got one myself. Thing is I can't pull them off, my wrists are way to puny. In my early rep collecting days I hunted high and low for one and when I got one it was ridiculous on me and weighed a tonne. I think these new ones might be better.

As for the lume its not that fantastic and doesn't propose to be and again its not a hideously glaring fault. I'm always pleasantly surprised when it glows during the day when I move from the outside to an albeit darker inside environment .

The A21J and strangely more expensive option is IMHO the poorer version. It was the first version and though I'm sure the movement is solid but the thin DW font annoys me. They are ok I think they are the same as the ones in the IWC Big pilots they work fine.

The A7750 is the better movement. I've had/got several of these and this has been the only temperamental one. Somewhere in the mechanism the date wheel starts to engage to change between the hours of 10pm and 2am. This is why its recommended to only change the date after 2 or before 10. I usual set them to 6:30, but haven't following that rule. This is only an issue with these chronograph based movements and your standard eta 2836 types aren't prone to issues AFAIK.

Its a real shame that the rep community is so critical of this 1950 range because for less that $300 you can get yourself a reasonably nice watch. The case set is much more interesting than the bog standard Luminor especially with the polished bezel and brushed case. I am sure more members have them but are reluctant share them to avoid the potential scorn especially around the look of movement. Its disappointing that we can't be more supportive, enjoy them and appreciate them as they are.

With the pending 3 barrel P.2002 replica movement happening, it would of been nice to see a decent 233 in this case set. Sadly I doubt the factories will bother given the criticism these watches undeservedly get.

I hope to get my date fixed soon and hope you decide to take the plunge and enjoy your rep.

ST4