When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My (almost perfect) IWC Big Pilot Rep 5002 with Gen Parts

watchfreund

Thanks! Everything is going very good - Why dont you also make a thread with some pictures?

Today we found out that you do not need much improvement on the sunken DW as soon as you mount a GEN dial in the right way. Very cool. Try it out mate.

In the mean time I also decided to get a double side AR on the crystal. It will be back next week.

Also I decided to relume the GEN dial and the hands. Lume is good. Do not get me wrong. But I am really picky and in my opinion it can be stronger - It always can!

Man I can wait to have this finished and on my arm again.

I will, I will. ATM I don't have anything to share :) Do you have pictures of the gen dial installed? I will be doing it this weekend.

Hi mate, how is your Franken process going? I am just about to get the gen dial from the post office and double side AR coated crystal should arrive in a 1 week. I will get another DW to fix the sunken DW problem too. I also got Orloff strap last week, it is very nice!

Can someone explain how to do that DW fix correctly?

The gen has a sunken dw too so it's fine.

c587ffd8fcf411e19cc822000a1e9b89_7.jpg

• Like 1

That pic of the gen dial appears to be missing the border around the dw? So badly wanting a franken of this...

The GEN dial has been completely reworked by my watchsmith. It is also relumed now. The silver border is (of course) not missing. :) Just got some pictures. Will post details when I pick it up end of the week.

The gen has a sunken dw too so it's fine.

c587ffd8fcf411e19cc822000a1e9b89_7.jpg

Thanks mate. Still with the GEN dial it is not as sunken as with the REP dial. It actually is a huge improvement in my eyes to switch to GEN dial - Though quite expensive.

I am always believer that a gen dial for virtually every watch is the biggest improvement we can bestow on our reps. I have always found that other than the vintage stuff if you are patient they do come up reasonably - especially for IWC . I did it on the SS and Ti GST's and on the 3717. I am probably the only person who bought a gen dial before there was a rep in case they ever came out with one. Still haven't bought the rep but will build this one some day. :)

• Like 1

I am always believer that a gen dial for virtually every watch is the biggest improvement we can bestow on our reps. I have always found that other than the vintage stuff if you are patient they do come up reasonably - especially for IWC . I did it on the SS and Ti GST's and on the 3717. I am probably the only person who bought a gen dial before there was a rep in case they ever came out with one. Still haven't bought the rep but will build this one some day. :)

Nice comment! Thanks! I agree a 100%.

This is true!! All my replicas have a genuine dial at least. It looks so much better. Seconds best improbement - and easiest - is a genuine strap.

I agree and: Wow! I still have to catch up on this. Not every watch has a GEN dial but at least some GEN parts (Bezel insert, ...).

So its time for an update.

BTW I am building this with Uwe/FineDD. I think some of you know him? He lives near by me and has some of my watches. He works very professional. I can only recommend him. He did an hell of a job on my GEN dial here where one hour indicator was missing. He totally rebuild it.

post-40027-0-80806300-1348521617_thumb.j

Here you can see the beautiful GEN dial with his missing hour indicator at 2 o clock.

post-40027-0-15015800-1348521625_thumb.j

FineDD softly took the indicator from 1 o clock of, made his own templet and rebuild the hour indicators.

post-40027-0-11008700-1348521629_thumb.j

The GEN dial 100% rebuild, relumed and in factory new state.

post-40027-0-90589700-1348521845_thumb.j

And here it is. Build together with the new double side ARed crystal, no more sunken date wheel and of course relumed hours, minutes and seconds hands.

post-40027-0-36196600-1348521899_thumb.j

And here we go... the LUME.

Thats it for today. Can´t wait to put it on the GEN strap again.

Thanks!

WOW WOW! Very nice job! Uwe knows how to do it for sure!

This is true!! All my replicas have a genuine dial at least. It looks so much better. Seconds best improbement - and easiest - is a genuine strap.

I would say in many cases dial and crystal go hand in hand. If the crystal has no AR or bad AR, then there is no use of changing a gen dial. But true, genuine strap is so much easier than getting a gen crystal or rep ARred.

• Like 1

WOW WOW! Very nice job! Uwe knows how to do it for sure!

Thank you very much. Yes Uwe did an awesome job!

I would say in many cases dial and crystal go hand in hand. If the crystal has no AR or bad AR, then there is no use of changing a gen dial. But true, genuine strap is so much easier than getting a gen crystal or rep ARred.

100% right. With the double side AR the GEN dial just looks perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, mate!! Welcome to the Franken Big Pilot Club. ;) Looks beautiful! The GEN dial shows off so good under the double side ARed crystal, right? So happy the I decided to take the double AR too. You have a lume shoot too?

Yes the double AR is a must! One crappy shot of the lume, here you go. Rep hand lume is very similar to a gen dial lume so I am very happy.

IMG_4190.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...