When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has rolex lost their way. daytona

red series 3

If Rolex had stayed true to what grouchy collectors (myself included) wanted, they wouldn't be in business right now. Unfortunately, a company needs to evolve. The more iconic a piece is, the more even a subtle change looks wild and radical.

Look at the Sub, the biggest change was they made the dots on the dial slightly bigger and every collector lost their heads/

These crazy design Daytonas are such a tiny fraction of their sales, even within the Daytona line.

I'm sure there were some Rolex collectors fifty years ago looking at the new Submariner and thinking, "40mm?! Who needs a watch that big? If you've such poor eyesight that you need a wrist-clock like this, you shouldn't be diving."

Would that really be such a bad thing? I was talking to a jeweller a few weeks back, and he said that if it wasn't for Tudor, Rolex would have actually gone under (although he didn't specify which era/years this was refering to) which I found quite interesting :) At the moment, I think Rolex is aiming (with the new releases) at a very different demographic than it historically catered to...

Since Rolex is not buying up and destroying the old ones, there will always be old pieces around for those who prefer them. Sure, a Double Red Sea Dweller will be hard to come by, but I don't think it was ever that common when new. However, you can purchase and re-furbish any Datejust, Explorer, GMT Master or Sub for less than the price of a new one.

It's not like Rolex was ever a small-volume producer.

Had Rolex gone under and its legendary status remained, all of these pieces would be worth more, I think.

In related news, Rolex's June price list.

And in case you were interested in the OP's Rainbowtona, the white gold version has an SRP of $92,600.

CHEAP!

I didn't realize that it was so cheap. At this price it just seems like a bargain. Can I change my opinion. Now I want one. maybe two one for each wrist.