When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

will regret the current gen 5.5 42mm PO

KMAC

I had purchased a UPO with chief AR a few years back. While I was pleased with the crystal, the watch wasn't the ultimate I thought it should be. I have had two great reps in my opinion and those were the Breitling Seawolf and Steelfish (not that there aren't better or more great reps out there, but i haven't owned them and I bring these two up for comparison.)

The UPO dial didn't seem as deep of a color as the gen and the markers were a off color.

Anyways, is the new 42mm Gen 5.5 a great improvement or is it a tweak of the old and will I find myself disappointed? I love the franken POs, but the stock ones just aren't doing it for me. It is a shame also, because I love omega watches and have a few gen seamaster pros.

tbh out of the box it's a great wearable rep, but if you are looking for side by side accuracy with a gen then it has some shortfalls, particularly dial lume and AR on the crystal, these are the most striking and it can be made very close by either gen dial/gen crystal or good aftermarket lume job and AR job. After that it is minor issues that probably wouldn't be noticed unless pointed out, HeV height, pearl etc.

For the price of a 5th gen 42mm asian then at about $200 or under then it is a great rep to have with future franken options.

Also just reading back you mention 42mm 5th gen V5.5 ? Which old one are you comparing to? 4th gen old or 5th gen original 2010 release? The term V5.5 is imo the worst possible sort of rep forum quick lingo coinage...there is no PO V5.5 rep, somebody coined the term 5.5 on the geek or rwi when minor factory discrepancies showed up in the factory construction process, such as pearl lowered a bit, logo raised a bit etc, There is no V5.5, only V5, whichever tool originally coined the term V5.5 just created more confusion for noobs rather than providing help.

Which vac modded rep PO do you have, if it's a few years old I'm guessing 4th gen?

I'd say hold onto it, doubt there is a much better option unless you go franken, or pick a franken up on sale cheaply. The benefit of the 42mm over the 45mm is the gen bezel clicks straight onto rep 42mm, on the 45mm it has to be modded to fit the insert. All other gen parts go in fine other than the bezel differences.

I thought I saw a 42mm rep franken on sale recently on the geek with all gen parts except for bezel for around $850...which isn't a bad deal. If you end up buiding a franken, look into things like sunnydale crystal AR which would lower costs and look v close to gen.

You could wait on and see what the factories come up with for the new ceramic PO, which should be out soon (by xmas hopefully)

...alternatively if looking for something a little different (but still a similar profiled diver) try the new jlc navy seals...just picked one up this week, absolutely cracking rep out of the box, no mods necessary.

Thanks for the help. I love the gen seamasters but really would like a 42mm po to work in just think there are a few shortcomings on the upo hat bother me. The steelfish black dial is spot on in most regards and I wish the po would be a bit closer (as most would on any rep) it is great for the price but I think I will hold off for a bit and think more about it. I know I would lose much on the 42 if I bought it and wasn't uber impressed requiring me to sell it, big I think that will be the case. So it is hard to go in thinking you will not be happy.

Thanks again I will keep my eye out there for the one. I may go a different direction and buy sinn u1 and/or a sinn 6100. Both look like good reps and the. Just stick to omegas in the gen world.

I'd say hold onto it, doubt there is a much better option unless you go franken, or pick a franken up on sale cheaply. The benefit of the 42mm over the 45mm is the gen bezel clicks straight onto rep 42mm, on the 45mm it has to be modded to fit the insert. All other gen parts go in fine other than the bezel differences.

I thought I saw a 42mm rep franken on sale recently on the geek with all gen parts except for bezel for around $850...which isn't a bad deal. If you end up buiding a franken, look into things like sunnydale crystal AR which would lower costs and look v close to gen.

You could wait on and see what the factories come up with for the new ceramic PO, which should be out soon (by xmas hopefully)

...alternatively if looking for something a little different (but still a similar profiled diver) try the new jlc navy seals...just picked one up this week, absolutely cracking rep out of the box, no mods necessary.

From who did you get the JLC navy seals???

Ok somehow I. Trying to talk me out of it I talked myself into it. Ordered one today. If you don't mind I would like to post up the qc pics for the big issues only.

We will see worst case I lose a couple of bucks on resale, spend a few more modding it, best case the dial is better and I like it as is.

From who did you get the JLC navy seals???

From Sead, UK stock! Excellent rep! All the dealers have them now

Ok somehow I. Trying to talk me out of it I talked myself into it. Ordered one today. If you don't mind I would like to post up the qc pics for the big issues only.

We will see worst case I lose a couple of bucks on resale, spend a few more modding it, best case the dial is better and I like it as is.

Yep post up the QC pics, as you say worth a try, the 42mm are decent out of the box, the pearls are better than the 45's, definitely worth a try, easy to sell on if you don't like it!

DSC_08531.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. The pearl looks centered, but the bezel may be slightly mis aligned. i asked for a square picture of the alignment in relation to the dial. The He Valve looks well placed, but maybe larger than some of the recent valves I have seen. The omega logo looks straight any high enough off the omega print. Datewheel looks centered and no misaligned illum markers that I can see.

What are your thoughts?

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0856.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0859.jpg

I reckon it looks great Kmac, as good as I've ever seen out of the box without any modding. the pearl seems fine, nicely flush, they are all not perfectly centered anyway so this is pretty good. He valve looks a little tall in first pic but it maybe slightly open, it is definitely 'normal' rep He valve in the rear pic and looks closed and a little thinner there.

Dial looks great, all markers seem straight, printing and logos fine, as is dw.

The bezel numbers always look misaligned in pics of PO compared to markers, very few take a pic 100% face on, wouldn't worry about it, seems fine also, even gen PO's give the illusion of being misaligned to dail markers in angled pics.. All in all it seems a fine rep I wouldn;'t reject it, and its a good base to start on if you want to mod lalter.

Ha! I went down to an AD today to look at these GENs up close, and was surprised to see the GEN bezel ring was off just like your QC rep pic. I was looking at the 42mm 300M and the PO. Neither one looked as nice as other GEN manufactures like Rolex or higher end stuff. I was really surprised. The dials were not impressive nor the bezel graphics either. I walked away thinking that the reps are definitely close enough when it comes to the Omega line. -just my two cents ;)

Yep, one of the best I've seen aswell maxman, good quality rep there, do post a few pics when you receive kmac. I'd nearly leave it as is, but a new upcoming sunny crystal and gen or relumed dial and it will be killer rep :)

Were these the new models Cromag, that's because the gen rolex has more shine to it :) the bezel numbers being off is just an optical illusion, it shows up worse in photos. Honestly though, the gen old PO can look a little washed out in certain lights, but most of the time it's just glowing, jet black glossy shiny rolex dials are more striking, no doubt. Well if they haven't competed with in looks with rolex in previous models they certainly do with the new models, hold a 8500 PO next to any rolex diver and it looks outstanding in comparison....well I think so anyway :) I don't really like the new smp 300m ceramic models, looks like they had an attack of the bling monster tbh.

Looks great, save the Omega emblem.

It's a bit too high above "Omega".

Most have some issue, IMO. Mine has funky lume in one of the markers and, what I thought was dust, is a bit of missing paint in the number 12. You can't notice without a loupe or macro pic, just as most will never notice the distance between the Omega symbol and the writing below.

This is a fantastic rep. Enjoy it.

Hi Cougar,

They were last year and this year's models. They had about 30 or so in that part of the case which had only the PO models and 300m models and maybe another. I held six or seven and I looked really close at the differences in the updated new grey ceramic bezels and what looked to be new darker laser etched dials. Though the newer dials had better contrast they looked inferior to the other manufactures like Rolex. Granted the other manufactures are more expensive so it makes sense.

The store did not carry Rolex, IWC or AP, but had most of the other high ends like Lange, PP, JLC, Blancpain. Saw some nice six figure tourbies too.

I was really hoping I would like the gen blue 300m and the PO which ranged from $4k to $6k. I think the IWC is more appealing to me in that gen price range. Rolex and VCO at the $10k to $12k range. Not sure I would want to entertain anything higher.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Didn't notice that but would rather it be like this one then right on top/ too close like some. Great now the omega logo is going to bother me :)

It is a little too high, but tbh, they are all off a little, some were too low, right above the lettering (no gap) others were high, and some were just placed correct but had bad cut to the logo, I would rather have a perfectly cut logo slightly high than a logo that looks like it was shaped with a stanley knife :) but in the right position. Yours is perfectly cut, its fine :) either way it is a small part, hardly noticeable. The lume is gonna be a much bigger issue vis a vis gen.

Hi cromag, it's just interesting to see other perspectives, the new IWC range definitely looks outstanding, to me all these watches have got a little too expensive for my taste, nice to look at, but way too expensive to be minding on the wrist. I'm surprised you didn't like the new PO, but hey not everybody gonna get on with them :) it's definitely a step up in terms build quality from the previous. JLC also seem to have some astounding build quality for the price, well that is relative to other competitors in a similar category. Atm If I had $10K I honestly don't know what I'd buy, I definitely wouldn't by a newer generation Rolex, not as nice as older stuff. A nice 16610 or any vintage piece is always a good watch. The PO you could possibly get a 20%-25% discount so it still can be a bit of a relative bargain for the price. Some change would be left over from either of these. IWC or JLC would be sweet but very hard to pick out a one and only watch for all wear sort of choice.

Edited by cougar1

@Cougar

Ya wifey really likes the JLC and will probably end up getting one for herself. The Reverso or a PP. She really likes this one pictured below for me but it's not versatile enough for me to justify the cost in my mind. Too dressy for everyday even in the office though I really like it. I would need to run in dressier circles on a daily basis to justify. I appreciate the perfection of the craftsmanship and the elegant design. That's what draws me to fine swiss watches.

02388E36-F50C-4D87-9A6E-F996348234D9-1341-00000117F6F86BAE.jpg

Those reversos are lovely Cromag, I do agree though, very difficult get full use out of it unless dressed up all the time. I'd love a decent rep and there is talk about doing one, but again it may be a while before anything gets off the ground. The small seconds or the no seconds closed back version would be in theory not too difficult to get a good rep.

I love the Reverso duo also, but again I'd never get wear out of it really. The master control is an option or the memovox, a bit more sporty/dressy?

Also, who are really impressive for the money relative to the others lately are GO, they produce stuff a calibre up from the competition at some very decent prices and are not as mainstream as Rolex/Omega, which is kinda appealing.

39-34-20-42-04.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack Kmac ;)

:) Right, we'll keep this thread about PO stuff ;)

You could do much worse than one of the Vac modded 3717 atm, the rep is great out of the box but with some finishing touches, AR/Lume/DW it turns into a classic rep. I have a concepta 3717. About 2 months ago I was gonna sell it and just use a modded rep but now I think I'll hold onto the genenstein...unlikely to see them ever again!