When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats it worth? Gen Rlx Mrk-lll Trop (images)

Guest G.S.W.

As for worth, it's what anyone is (stupid enough) prepared to pay for it.

Exactly...And what would that person do with possibly the ugliest dial I have seen in a while, God forbid they actually wanted to use it in a gen Rolex case.

My recommendation is to hang it on the wall and admire it until all of the tritium crumbles off of the dial....Or better yet save some money and get a moose head for the wall and a nice white 1680 for the wrist.

Exactly...And what would that person do with possibly the ugliest dial I have seen in a while, God forbid they actually wanted to use it in a gen Rolex case.

My recommendation is to hang it on the wall and admire it until all of the tritium crumbles off of the dial....Or better yet save some money and get a moose head for the wall and a nice white 1680 for the wrist.

Quite. I'd be ashamed to put it into a gen watch, as much as I would be wearing it around a friend (local AD and vintage nut). He'd quietly take me aside and say "WTF?"

The 'moose head' comment made me chuckle, particularly as moose is Brit slang for a really ugly woman - seems appropriate here.

Back to the drawing board GSW I'm afraid.

Guest G.S.W.

I think I have had heard all I need to.

I own the dial. Dial is not for sale.

MOTIVE: I have several old red dials meters first that are in just OK condition and I was looking to get an honest value opinion of them from some people who too are knowledgable & know how to be serious.

Thank You for the posts.

What is this I don't even...

I don't understand what the OP's point was. When I make a thread on RWG, it is usually a "Guys, what should I do about this" followed by a number of responses, followed by me usually taking said advice. This was like a setup or a troll or something. Bizarre.

• Like 2

So far these are all opinions. Easy to say its real or its fake but please back up your reasons if you an expert to call it. IF the color is wrong then can you explain why you know that. A poor picture of a watch dial inside a busted crystal hardly is any help.

To say the color is wrong and to not explain why ... is a very gutsy call without knowing the history of the dial.

First you post with the implication you're looking for honest opinions about the tropical dial: "Any real help would be greatly appreciated."

Then this weird comment: "What a cool way to learn about the forum, its members and the level of knowledge they hold." I don't know if you're being evasive or snarky. Certainly in retrospect it was sarcastic at best.

Then the ringer. After many people took the time to carefully evaluate your photos and offer their expert opinion, you come back with: "So far these are all opinions. Easy to say its real or its fake but please back up your reasons if you an expert to call it. IF the color is wrong then can you explain why you know that. A poor picture of a watch dial inside a busted crystal hardly is any help."

What? You asked for opinions and now you chastise people for their opinions? Do you think these good people owe you an explanation behind their reasoning?

And for the capper: "To say the color is wrong and to not explain why when the color change is due to a paint defect that can be sped up or slowed down by outside sources is a very gutsy call without knowing the history of the dial."

So now you finally admit you really do know all about the dial, its paint characteristics, and how and why it faded. So you were lying or misleading us in your first posts.

Then you berated the members for offering their opinions, after you asked for opinions.

This is not how we operate here on RWG. This fails the smell test about a dozen different ways. If you're looking for opinions, fine. Accept them. If you're trying to show us your amazing knowledge, save it. There are people here that have forgotten more than you've ever learned about vintage Rolex. And if you're trying to impress us with rare vintage pieces, you're wasting your time. People here have more ultra-rare vintages than you can imagine.

I suggest you think REAL hard about why you're here, and your approach to RWG. You don't even realize it but you've been extended the courtesy of the benefit of the doubt by quite a few absolute experts here, solely because they're gentlemen. That courtesy is not unlimited.

A wise man once said "speak softly and carry a big stick." That's good advice for you to follow.

• Like 1

What he said (Nanuq)

Clearly the red came after the dial. That alone explains why you didn't take it to VRF in the first place.

Lots of guys have come to RWG trying to show off their smarts and vintage goods. This is a place to enjoy these fine watches and share info, not to try and deceive.

I promise you... if you display your dial over at the vintage rolex forum, they will not be as gentle is the members here. Go ahead, do it.. and prove me wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the thing that bothered people was his attitude. I've seen this kind of attitude popping up at lots of forums I frequent; I don't know what has gotten into people that they feel this incredible sense of entitlement and "rightness," without regard to forum members that might have more knowledge. In my humble opinion, it was just rude.