When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Gramco dial

crippledjitsu

Hi guys, been looking at different watches to start my collection with, found a vintage gen cellini (top end of my budget) I was going to jump for, but ive just come across this beauty.....

http://www.watchclub.com/w3469/rolex-day-date-gramco-dial-18ct-yellow-gold.html

Never seen this in my life, but its a gorgeous watch, and I really like the brown leather strap. Noone knows of anywhere that replicas these do they?

L

That is just a standard DayDate with Gramco (which I assume is a company name) printed on the dial. I cannot say that I have ever seen a replica of a DayDate with that company name on the dial before, but some of the dealers listed on RWG will customize a rep watch to order. Send the pic of the dial to Joshua or Andrew or some of the other dealers & see if they can locate or make it up for you (no idea of the cost).

A warning - the 'gold' used on flashed/plated/capped (or whatever term a dealer uses on) rep watches tends not to wear as well as a the (solid) gold used on genuine Rolex watches. So I would either keep this watch for special occasions, where it is not likely to get dinged or exposed to any caustic substances, or go with a stainless steel watch. Generally speaking, Rolex did not offer the Daydate in steel, but steel is hard to tell apart from white gold, which Rolex does use, so only a knowledgeable collector (& some women) will be able to detect the difference.

There are Day Date replicas, check the trusted dealers websites. As Freddy said, all the gold used on reps is plated on, and it wears like all plated gold objects do. I would stick to the s/s model unless you are very careful with the gold. Also the DayDate is 18k Gold, and it's pretty difficult for the rep makers to exactly duplicate that Rolex 18k color.