When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wiping my sweaty brow...

BlackFlash

I've being doing my due diligence.

I've been reading posts - including Some Of The Best Watch Information Ever Posted On The Forums (7 pages of amazing info) - I'm learning how watches work, their history and I've been a witness to a lot of enthusiasm here. I've been looking at pictures/albums, I've visited site of dealers and I have a short list of reps that I'd like to own before too long. The list has evolved and has grown, but noticably, it's been influenced by the information I read here on this site. Thank you to all the contributors who are clearly educators as well.

In all my reading of dealers and in my visits to their sites, it seems that if I kept extensive notes, I'd have a better chance at identifying who specializes in what. It's clear that each dealer can't be stellar with all makes and models. However, I have a feeling the members here have information that could be helpful in narrowing where to go for what and importantly, why.

Would such content in one place make things too easy for people to "click here, buy there" without reading up first or would it be a review and credit to some dealers?

Perhaps it's both. Chime in and let me know.

Hi Blackflash welcome to the forum. I think you are approaching it in the right way. The rep world is a constantly evolving and ever changing place, it would be a lot of work to summarise things in one area and have it all nice and neatly layed out with a ribbon on top for those who don't want to do their homework...but what is gonna happen in a few weeks or months time? ...the information is then starting to get dated, a dealer who had a watch at a great price can no longer get supply, some dealer cuts the price on a certain watch and he becomes the new favorite goto guy, a watch that had great initial reviews, now doesn't look so hot etc etc.

To keep on top of things requires huge amounts of searching and reading for many of us who like reps. The feeling is that a newb who isn't prepared to put in some effort is hardly worth the effort to sit down and keep abreast of the constant changes. To some just getting into reps they may feel they are being somewhat ignored when they ask "who has the best whatever and where can I get it?", but in reality what is happening is that because they've shown no incentive to look around and use the search function and in general are being lazy about their approach, then the response will be 'lazy' also. If they show they've done some homework at least and ask something like "I've narrowed down these two choices, which do you think is the better quality rep out of both" then the response will be much more forthcoming and useful to them.

Most dealers offer or can get any watch you want, the supply in most case comes from the same sources for all dealers, often narrowing who you want to deal with it, is as awkward as choosing the watch, and in many cases will take some trial and error. Some people like better/faster comms and response time and aftersales whereas others will be happy with the watch with less of that and better price. Only that can be decided by the customer themselves. Anyway I know that might not fully answer your question but you get the idea :)

Thanks for the feedback.

I can understand that for some there would be no incentive to read much further than that one forum section if that's what you're really looking for. That's quite unfortunate.

I've done some paring down, made some additions and learned a heck of a lot. The watch I choose from the trusted dealer of my choice will be great, I'm sure. The lessons I've learned about movement, history, quality, accuracy, factories, dealers, assembly and the likes will be far more valuable than any watch I buy. (Though I'm still trying to figure out what "PAM" means - the "abbreviations" link is dead like many other links on this site.)

I'm still sweating from doing the work of researching reps and dealers. While it's new for me, I'm excited about whatever I purchase from whomever. I'll have that much more pride knowing that I looked it all up myself. Hopefully others will view this endeavor similarly and not give up just because the information isn't handed to them.

Cheers!

• Like 1