When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So my 3atm waterproof watch is not waterproof?

seeaye

Hey guys,

Just got back from Holidays.. Took my newish Tag Carrera day-date along. I just had it serviced, changed the blew screws to silver and waterproof tested - waterproof to 3atm. Now I knew that wasn't much but surely enough for light use around the pool I thought.. Nothing can go wrong I thought.. hah. After I got out of the pool there was condensation under the crystal. This then became one or 2 small drops under the crystal. Didn't think anything would upset me that much :(

I mean intuition told me that a non screw-down crown rep won't be waterproof.. Anyway it still works which is good, I think I'll send it back to repairs to see if they can take any water out. Don't have any tools or time. Suggestions appreciated.

Anyway here's me enjoying my watch just about to go in.. little did I know :p

qyzria.jpg

Those water resistance markings are really badly designed. One would think that "3 ATM / 30m" means that the watch is safe down to 30 meters, but noooope.

3ATM basically means "safe for small splashes, like washing hands", not even showering.

5ATM is ok for "light swimming", but not snorkeling.

10ATM is safe for most swimming and snorkeling, but not diving.

More info at Wikipedia.