When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

45mm Planet Ocean, damage and repair

icoopernicus

Well, as expected, my 45mm Planet Ocean showed up along with my James Bond SMP. I was really only waiting for the PO, the SMP was a deal from Pure Time, but that little Seamaster is starting to grow on me.

Both watches arrived looking very good, the Planet Ocean seriously outclassing the little Seamaster on first impressions.

post-44290-134745094896.jpgpost-44290-134745101551.jpg

The looked fantastic and I couldn't wait to size them up and mount them on wrist ;) I had an extra long wait for this order and was very excited, of course, I can't put it on the wrist without setting my new watch, and that's when it all went bad........

post-44290-13474512745.jpg

As far as I can tell, when I passed 12 with the hour hand it made contact with the Omega logo, "no happy feet!" but I'm afraid that's the least of my problems :(

As you can see, the logo pulled up on the left side, it's now bent with one mounting pin removed from the mounting hole in the dial.

This is a larger problem for one (me) with no experience, no tools, no jewelers loop (not even a magnifying glass), and absolutely no patience.

I started by removing the case back and movement, I improvised a case back opener from a couple of forks and got some small tools that could help me out. Sorry, but none of that was documented and I didn't know how to accurately show that I spent 2 hours trying to place that tune logo back on the dial. This required bending it back into shape, flattening it, losing it, finding it, and lining up the tiny pins with the holes in the dial. When it was all said and done, I had severely scratched the logo, put some small scratches on the dial, and missed my slow pitch game (didn't want to go anyway).

post-44290-134745232795.jpgpost-44290-134745235224.jpg

This was not how I wanted to spend my first night with a new watch but I'm glad I put the time in and now I can start shopping for a Gen dial and hands as my first mod. This is the watch as it sits following that little fiasco, well actually it sits on my wrist currently, but you get the picture.

post-44290-134745257282.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to hear my little tale. I'll have to keep you all posted once the modding starts, first things first, I'll be getting some proper tools ;)

As much as I hate that this happened almost right out of the box, I had a lot of fun taking the watch apart and I am looking forward to taking many more watches apart.... and putting them back together of course.

:D sorry to see a bit of a mess up like that coop, but at least you got it on in the end...great pics also :) Those logos are finicky things! The trouble with these situations is when you don't have the tools handy it becomes like trying to perform open heart surgery with a blunt fork.....not really a pretty procedure. Some rodico, pegwood and a plastic tweezers would've been handy ;)

And get one of those rubber sticky balls for removing casebacks...works on 99% of them...or some rolled up ducttape in a fix. When you get the gen dial/hands it will looks much better, but pick up some tools with them :)

Thanks for the great tips, I've already located the dial and hands that I need and soon enough I'll place an order and get them installed. Tools are a must, I can certainly see a benefit to plastic tweezers. I'll be sure to share the project as it progresses.