When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nice Surprise

bruce79

Wh

What does your pearl look like now, do you have any pics? I might be able to help you with a quick mod.

Pearl gone by bye :( big gaping hole in insert - fine for 1680 not so for 16610 and it's too embarrassed to be seen in public sans pearl.

Really would like a like-for-like replacement; i.e. gen pearl.

However until one surfaces, then if you have any tips for modding an aftermarket pearl, I'm all ears...much appreciated.

We all know how tough gen inserts are to source...I just got lucky and my supplier informed me he has no more after this one and this one he had for quite some time... and just decided to get rid of it to fill my order. I lucked out.

For modding the pearl of our existing rep pearls or any aftermarket rep, several types of craftsman glue work great. I get mine from Michaels. Just put a dab on a piece of paper and, using a toothpick, place a small dab onto the pearl. The glue may sit a little high once you do it and you'll want to flatten it down but don't. It will sit down quite a bit as it drys. The glue will give it that shine that many aftermarket pearls lack.

Edited by bruce79

We all know how tough gen inserts are to source...I just got lucky and my supplier informed me he has no more and he had this one for quite some time and just decided to get rid of it to fill my order.

He must have had it for QUITE a long time as it is a pre-F insert. It dates back probably to somewhere in the late 90s or early 2000s. Nevertheless, genuine is the only way to fly!!!

He must have had it for QUITE a long time as it is a pre-F insert. It dates back probably to somewhere in the late 90s or early 2000s. Nevertheless, genuine is the only way to fly!!!

How can you tell that it's a pre-F insert...other than the fact that the package says it's for an 16800? Is there a way to tell by looking at it? Although I'm happy to have a gen insert, the lume on my sub's gen dial is tritium and is now a creamy color. The pearl on this new sub is obviously pearly white and, IMO, clashes with the dial when I lay it over the top of the existing insert. It kinda makes the watch look fake, hate to say it....Not that it's not fake but you know what I mean. I dunno :rolleyes:

How can you tell that it's a pre-F insert...other than the fact that the package says it's for an 16800? Is there a way to tell by looking at it? Although I'm happy to have a gen insert, the lume on my sub's gen dial is tritium and is now a creamy color. The pearl on this new sub is obviously pearly white and, IMO, clashes with the dial when I lay it over the top of the existing insert. It kinda makes the watch look fake, hate to say it....Not that it's not fake but you know what I mean. I dunno :rolleyes:

Yea, you definitely don't want to use that insert on a vintage Rollie. Anyhow, the -181 in the part number predates the current -81, and there is a font difference on the insert as well. For example, you'll notice on your insert the "4" in "40" is trapezoidal, whereas on post-F models it is triangular. I have a couple -81s and a -181 as well. And I think shortly I should have just the right watch for the 181....

Although I'm happy to have a gen insert, the lume on my sub's gen dial is tritium and is now a creamy color. The pearl on this new sub is obviously pearly white and, IMO, clashes with the dial when I lay it over the top of the existing insert. It kinda makes the watch look fake, hate to say it....Not that it's not fake but you know what I mean. I dunno :rolleyes:

Bruce, if you find yourself not able to live with the colour clash, I have a recipient minty white Sub in search of a donor insert/pearl.... ;):whistling::lol: