When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it real..., ...or is it a DW6263? Options

Thor

Page 1:

Enjoy!

462-7976.jpg

I'm going to guess it's your famed DW6263

Ken

:ph34r:

Real? Replica? What's the giveaway? :coolio:

I'm not a vintage Daytona expert but I guess this is real. How about those asymmetric pushers... and it's not beat up enough to be yours. :laugh:

Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy now... I'm not THAT hard on watches! :Jumpy:

462-7977.jpg

this baby is real

The crown looks too large (thick).

Daytona is written too low on the dial, although this could just be the way this model is.

Bezel is off a little, the "Units per hour" lines up a little weird as well as some of the numbers.

well?

the bezel is easy snap on snap off, therefor the misalignment is minor important and not necessarily sign of rep.

dial looks like gen because of the crisp red., also the DW dial has a minor flaw not present at above dial.

the crown to me looks prefect.

Slick makes a good argument, @Roe... what say thee?

If the bezel had just been misaligned then the other markers I am looking at would not line up properly either. With the "180", "60" and the "120" lining up properly, the other markers should also line up properly.

When I refer to the "Units Per Hour" not lining up, I am referring to it not lining up with itself.

The red is rather crisp, but is still off a little. The position bothers me more than anything else.

The crown I am referring to is not the logo, but the winding crown and it looks a little too fat too me. More like a 16520 than a 6263.

Now this could all be due to the gen examples I am looking at. I would post the pic, but I will wait until Nanuq tells us one way or the other.

EDIT: I am looking at a model with the exact same dial and hand colors.

It looks really good but the winding crown looks different from this genuine baby (white dial version). Or then it's just the pic.

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html...53&auctionid=73

Another reference pic:

http://images.antiquorum.com/47/full/147.jpg

Remember, Ubiquitous posted photos of two vintage Daytonas, and they had the same difference in crowns. One was an obvious Triplock, and the other neither he nor I could nail down.

Consensus?

I know Rolex is kinda random, that is what makes this so hard.

Like I said, I can only go off the gens I am looking at and they show VERY minor differences.

Page 2:

More hints? :coolio:

Sure

Ok I'm no expert on these models, but how about the placement of Rolex under the crown, shouldn't the 'L' be more to the left?

Ken

Lemme throw this out. There's no use discussing the details of the dial...the silver dial is the one that DW did not carry. So it's either a redialed DW, or it's a gen.

Since that crown is not DW's (and there's really no other way to tell), I'm guessing it's real.

@Avitt

Well said! It's a logic problem. Since DW had no silver dials and the dial is of such high quality, but it's not DW's and nobody else makes them that nice... it has to be real.

...................or from a new dealer. :ninja:

You know Bob you can be a real bugger sometimes :laugh:

C'mon spill the beans :Jumpy:

Ken

He said "new dealer"!!!! :Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy:

Craaaaaaaaaaazy!!!! :Jumpy:

the plot thickens

Dial spacing indicates VJ72 or DW movement....You would not be able to contain yourself if there was a new dealer offering either of these (or a suitable replacement)...

Is that mark on the bezel at 7 o'clock just glare, or is is glue squeeze-out from a repaired crack?

The mark at 7:00 is glare. The bezel is perfect. :Jumpy:

:beer: :drunksing:

OK...I'm going to guess it's a Franken, built into a DW VJ72 case.

Here's why: The hands don't look like DW's (and only DW hands will fit onto a DW movement)...and, I know that you had a Valjoux 72 sitting around waiting for a new home.

At any rate, if that's a rep, you'll NEVER be called out....Fantastic!

Real Dial.

More opinions, anyone?? :Jumpy:

"Daytona" should be a bit higher above the six subdial?? At least I thought so.

Page 3:

That is one of the things I saw.

oopps, Sorry Roed, I didn't read the whole thread. :blush: Nanuq, if you do not like this piece anymore, please let me know. I will come pick it up your place. We all know what you can do to a watch you don't like :laugh:

:happy: I was just agreeing with you. Didn't mean for it to come across as attacking. :blushing:

The marker dots are not "perfectly" in line with the markers, which I've found to be a characteristic of (even excellent) redials. This further supports my thoery that it's a VJ72 Franken.

On the genuine the dots do not line up with the markers perfectly, so basicly it cannot be used as measurement for authentiscity

465-7971.jpg

465-7972.jpg

taken from

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...to=840257&rid=0

hence the fake does a better job

I say real.

465-7973.jpg

Lemme bite.

Genuine dial, rep case. The dial just looks so good, and the fact that DW never had silver dials is throwing people off. I highly doubt there is another dealer, but if there is, Nanuq should share with all of us. :crazymofo:

Minute hand may be real Rolex, but it is short for this watch. It would probably match up exactly with a rep dial tho, since the seconds marks on the rep dial are a little longer and bolder than on the original.......

??? Nobody sees any differences between the bezels on those two photos ???

:Jumpy:

Yep the font is thicker on the gen.

I should add the contract has been put out and the boy's know where you are.............you have 2 days to live unless you reveal all...............have a nice day :smile:

Ken

Hah! I'm not afraid! Send them to get me! I should be easy to find... I'm right here:

465-7974.jpg

Be sure to send them with warm coats... this is a -130 wind chill. :Jumpy:

Your enjoying this aren't you :eyebrow: ............................................................ :laugh:

Ken

Ok the bezel looks a lot like my DW bezel, so guess Admin is right,

DW watch, swapped dial.

Pushers look suspect.

Here is one I have been looking at for reference.

465-7975.jpg

Page 4:

Y'know, my picture doesn't look anything like that watch.

Oh you mean the one on the LEFT. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it.

:rolleyes:

Gunna string this out for all it's worth, aren't you :sad:

Ken

Maybe he doesn't know either way, Ken.

i can say with a pretty high level of certainty that he does know what's going on with it

This was actually a "calling him chicken" tactic. I am sure he does know.

:whistle:

:gun_bandana: :rainyday: :blowup: :ablow: :gun_bandana:

Please..........................pretty please.....................pretty please with sugar on it :cold:

I guess rep... just cos it would make this topic really interesting if it was a rep... and also cos of the nature of our forum... :happy:

the pic is small and a bit blurry, but i'm going to guess the pic is 100% genuine soup nazi

by the way bob, pm me if there has been any progress on the other thing we were chatting about

What do you have tourettes ?

Please let us know whats going on here....

@ehtolcad

There is indeed progress, an EMS number this morning, and agreements made on another certain item.

Page 5:

wouldnt want to spoil the fun, but i take you ordered this lovely piece from dw...

Whatever it is, i want one

Is DW Back????

I KNOW THE TRUTH!!! anybody want to know the truth?? Forget about Nanuq. PP me 10 bucks and I will PM you the info. :whistle:

Come on now guys.... we are all waiting to hear...

Coupled with a puzzlement at all the excitement about vintage models associated with a long delay and all the teasing, I've lost interest and could at this point care less if it is genuine or a rep.

Ok guy's I have a better deal..........I will pp $10 to Bluefin and then everyone can pp me $5 for the info :devil:

Ken

Or you can pp Bluefin $10, then I can pp you $5 and then I'll just blab it on the forum for free! :ph34r:

Come oooooon man...............

Whoops... I think the delivery date just slipped out another month. :coolio:

Anyone else want to PM for the answer? I think I feel another month coming on...... :whistle:

-In Charlton Heston's voice....."Damn you DAMN YOU TO HELL!"

Don't have a whole lot of business acumen there do you? :laugh:

Ken

Oooo! Ooooo! PP some money to me too, and you can blab it on the forum TWICE for free!

DOUBLE free! Who would have thunk it?!!!

:devil:

Lordy!!

I have been to the River, and I have crossed to the other side. My feet have tread where no other feet

have gone... and what I saw there was utter CRAP.

Sheesh.

Time for version #2 :Jumpy:

Has anyone picked up on the Daytona 6263-6365 cases on ebay in the last few days? One sold for $999 today- from France, w/ assymetric pushers, etc. to fit a Valjoux 72 movt. And there are two more that go in 6 days w/ starting bids of $199.00. I guess they would also have the assymetric pushers for a V. 72 movt.

I don't know where these are coming from, but I'd sure like to get my hands on one. I wonder if one of dealers could get those for us- assuming that they come from China or the far east somewhere. I bought a V. 72 movt last week so I'm slowly getting closer to being able to build a 6263.

BTW, Nanuq, are you ever going to tell us about the watch in the picture? And what's this River? I guess I'll check him next!

Page 6:

Ummmmmmmmm, not River, the person, but "a" river... a metaphor.

I saw a photo today of a v72 based 6263 and it was utterly terrible. Oh for the days of early DWs!

Well OK, So we're not getting any closer, and we've run this goat for five days. What's next? Beat a dead horse?

Feel free to read other posts. When I feel like posting useful information (not just speculation) about what could potentially be a very cool development, you'll see it here. Not until then. I wouldn't deceive my friends here with false hope.

@Nanuq, I am interested in the 6263case sold on ebay, as i noticed that you are an expert in this area i would be very happy to hear what you think of it before i decide... thanks

I predict that by Monday nanug will be very happy.

@kevin...what is cooking?

• 2 weeks later...
BINGO!!!

And Avitt nails it. Do you like how nice and low that coronet is compared to version 1.0 of the DW dials?

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

There is still ONE MORE detail to be straightened out... then it's perfect.

Who can spot it? It's minor. :cc_detective:

Nanug, What would we do without you! Your contributions are wonderful. Thank You!...

Guest avitt
Nahhhhhhhh, all I do is act anal and pick out ridiculously small details to gripe about.

DW is the one doing all the hard work! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just to let you know, the dial above is not a DW. You're still in the lead on that, Nanuq.

Very nice dial. Looks crooked, perhaps it needs to be reset as I presume the feet have been cut off. This is a mafor pain in the ass to deal with. I hate correcting this. I wish that dial feet were universally placed in the same locations... What a great world it would be!

Guest avitt
Very nice dial. Looks crooked, perhaps it needs to be reset as I presume the feet have been cut off. This is a mafor pain in the ass to deal with. I hate correcting this. I wish that dial feet were universally placed in the same locations... What a great world it would be!

I knew you would catch that, Euno (or Nanuq, or Ubi, or...). I just received the last components of this watch, and I put it all together this morning. It wasn't until after I had taken the pictures that I realized that the movement isn't perfectly centered....but I was out of time, and too eager to post.

The dial is for a VJ72, and it's just slightly smaller in diameter than the DW's. I did have to remove the feet. It's mounted with tape, and it's perfectly centered on the subdials. To correct this, I'll just loosen the case clamps, center, and retighten.