When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The best and most accurate Pam chronograph available?

dvn

Can u guys add, what's the flaws with the 288?

dial texture is not reflective enough, dial print too anemic, font kerning is off, luminous too lumpy and matte, should be semigloss and much finer texture. tachy ring print is a bit off, handstack has minor nits, e.g. lume again a bit grainy, the black paint is flimsy and not correct texture, the chrono hand is rough. case pushers too low on the profile of the case, they cut into the bottom edge of the pillow because the movement is a thicker asian 7750 clone as oppsed the the genuine 7753 based calibre.

overall though, the cosmetics, the crystal, case & bezel geometry and superlume do their job and if you're looking at it on someone's wrist you'll be hard pressed to call these out.

• Like 1

dial texture is not reflective enough, dial print too anemic, font kerning is off, luminous too lumpy and matte, should be semigloss and much finer texture. tachy ring print is a bit off, handstack has minor nits, e.g. lume again a bit grainy, the black paint is flimsy and not correct texture, the chrono hand is rough. case pushers too low on the profile of the case, they cut into the bottom edge of the pillow because the movement is a thicker asian 7750 clone as oppsed the the genuine 7753 based calibre.

overall though, the cosmetics, the crystal, case & bezel geometry and superlume do their job and if you're looking at it on someone's wrist you'll be hard pressed to call these out.

w0lf, you don't mess about ;)

I think u just took the 288 off my list bro. LOL.

Thanks for the info, very helpful :)

Edited by folex

You can be sure that no 316 grade steel, especially no 316F was used in making of these or any other mass-produced Chinese rep. No matter what the description states, you're getting AISI304 or similar.

Did you test the alloy on this production batch? :lol:

It is noticeably brighter than any other regular brushed SS PAM rep I've seen. It has visual qualities to indicate a higher inclusion of nickel in the alloy. There were several threads about this a while back, but the net sum is that 316F is not an expensive SS alloy and no reason to indicate that another alloy was used by the factory that is similar in cost but something different than advertised. This model is from 2 years ago production, the A7753 quick date change model. Regarded as a super rep before the explosive run of HF and NF PAMs seen over the past yearly so. :)

No, I didn't test the alloy on your watch, but I've handled several hundred PAM reps from both of the leading factories. It's not about the cost but about availability of this metal for sintering applications. Coincidentally, I've also done metal fab. work so I know how to make steel look brighter or duller with abrasives and lapping/satination compounds. I also happen to know a little bit about manufacturing, specifically in China so if you want to believe you're getting 316F, I won't dissuade you.

No, I didn't test the alloy on your watch, but I've handled several hundred PAM reps from both of the leading factories. It's not about the cost but about availability of this metal for sintering applications. Coincidentally, I've also done metal fab. work so I know how to make steel look brighter or duller with abrasives and lapping/satination compounds. I also happen to know a little bit about manufacturing, specifically in China so if you want to believe you're getting 316F, I won't dissuade you.

No worries, you can dissuade me. :lol:

All I know is that this watch has SS that is noticeably brighter/whiter than any of the other 50+ regular SS PAM reps I've owned before. Looks damn good and with the white dial really pops IMO. It's high quality metal alloy that has held up nearly 2 years and the metal still looks as bright and as good as when I first bought it.

:D

I think u just took the 288 off my list bro. LOL.

Thanks for the info, very helpful :)

If you're taking it from your list, I have 3 words for you, folex: buy a gen. Seriously, though: 288 is one of 10-12 best reps currently available on the market, of any brand and one of the 3-4 best chronos available. You missed the most important part of w0lf's post:

Just remember: you're buying a rep and have expectations accordingly.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in cred or points; it's more like - asked and answered. Adeodatus hit it on the nose, every single rep has flaws, some can be corrected by builders and if the watch is a big seller, many will also be corrected by the rep factory themselves throughout its life/production cycle. I feel that shopping for a rep today should be less about who has the best and more about, "look at how far we've come" but there's tons left to do to take it to the next level, and for this - knowledge is important. Unless of course you're perfectly happy with your options and are just picking out your Autumn strap color. Which is totally cool of course, but you can only have so much of that before you stop coming back to the sub.

This exactly sums up why the first time I saw a GEN 288 in person it looked considerably different from the rep! First thing I noticed from about 5 feet away was the sharpness and gloss of the dial/lume..

Sent using Tapatalk