When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ideas on watches for running

the_rymeister

Hi guys I'm starting my training soon for a couple of charity events next year in may and June, and I'm looking for a watch that's appropriate for running so I can time it,also needs to be able 100% waterproof and quite shockproof, here's a link to the event I'm doing :) any ideas would be great

Cheers Ry

http://toughmudder.co.uk/

Rye, you are one 'tough mudder' to take that on, I've had mates say it changed something inside of them forever.

Watch wise something light, shock and weatherproof with some neat features as well as endless stopwatches is a place to start. Im on a Gshock that has built in altimeter, compass and thermometer. This covers my long distance cycling (with pedometer for distance-iPhone for maps) and snowboarding, even sea and beach sports, when I don't want to wear anything shiny.

Multi device training is a pain though, and this fails on covering GPS distance, pace, elevation and heart rate - in one device, which is what you want if your serious. Heart rate monitor is the best way to really progress your training by keeping you on your personal edge. An investment though.

https://www.bodytronics.com/p/garmin_heart_rate_monitors/GAR910XTHR

Hope this helps. And more importantly good luck in the training! Its sure to be rewarding.

I wear a garmin GPS watch for running - gives me distance and pace info on the move and logs my route so I can download it when I get back.

Or for mountain biking, I wear a G Shock.

Either would be suitable for something like that toughmudder.

Cheers for the advice buddy ill have a look :)

Do not bother with a DSSD I used to run and some times with a a DSSD and they are just too big and heavy

Lol ill take your advice any on the dssd :D

Rye, you are one 'tough mudder' to take that on, I've had mates say it changed something inside of them forever.

Watch wise something light, shock and weatherproof with some neat features as well as endless stopwatches is a place to start. Im on a Gshock that has built in altimeter, compass and thermometer. This covers my long distance cycling (with pedometer for distance-iPhone for maps) and snowboarding, even sea and beach sports, when I don't want to wear anything shiny.

Multi device training is a pain though, and this fails on covering GPS distance, pace, elevation and heart rate - in one device, which is what you want if your serious. Heart rate monitor is the best way to really progress your training by keeping you on your personal edge. An investment though.

https://www.bodytronics.com/p/garmin_heart_rate_monitors/GAR910XTHR

Hope this helps. And more importantly good luck in the training! Its sure to be rewarding.

Thanks buddy I done my first tough mudder event at the beginning of this year and it was amazing, this time I've bought myself a gopro hd hero 2 head camera and I'm gonna film it all and hopefully train to get a good time :)

Your freinds are right it does do something inside :) it's such a good feeling completing the event with 15000 people all helping watch other to the end :) can't wait for the next 2 I've signed up for :)

I'll have a look at the link you posted the watch sounds great, thanks again for your help

Cheers

Ry