When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-v

vic225

If you don't have access to FGD dials, then I would really recommend going with DSN's. They're not that bad for $280. If you're willing to spend three times that... then it's best to check out the sales forums for watches and parts...

Here are mine... and a new project:

2C02BF65-21DA-46D1-9CC1-B5CCDA272119-22769-0000148C372DE14F.jpg

Edited by mir36

but is the dsn dial numbers too thin for a matching dial? seems the thinner ones are for non matching?

There was no related difference with matching or non-matching being thicker or thinner. The color of the hands depended on if the vendor used the varnish that yellowed too quickly or the one they switched to that didn't. A separate issue from the dials yellowing and/or thickness/thinness.

^^ nice collection! whats the project going to be?

A vintage 4-liner. A must in any collection.

i mean the batch they used the "wrong" varnish tends to be thinner numbers and the "correct" ones are thicker..

If you want thinner indices, get a DSN dial. Still no serifs, but live with it. :)

i mean the batch they used the "wrong" varnish tends to be thinner numbers and the "correct" ones are thicker..

Thats not correct mate.... The Non matching issue arose only in the 201a and 202a... and only in the first batches...I cant recall the exact millesimation off the top of my head... the issue of thick or thin indices relates to the luming.... the dials were lumed by different guys and some would stay within the cutouts of the indices (ie not lume the edges) and the more hasty lumers would allow the lume to sit on the edges... this gives the appearance of the indices being thick or thin.... if you seek out some PreV macros of dials you can see how the lume sits relative to my comments before... so the indices do not vary... PreV dials are almost sandwich like in depth so these effect is very easily created by hasty lumers.. As I recall there was an old article on Risti which i think got stickied into the archive... The PreA dials are old PreV dials with the PreV typeface inscription replaced with Cartier typeface however you can see these appear even thinner but again it was the lume application that gave rise to this and indeed the sausage nick name

This difference occurred from the start so matching and non matching were effected... Vanni had some great examples...