When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it just me, or...

tabularasa415

...does it seem like there are a LOT of amazingly well-modded/Franken watches for sale right now that no one seems to be buying. I feel like it is definitely a buyer's market in both the rep and gen worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

always the same, with anything really...watches, cars etc... first owner takes the hit, second owner blags it cheaper... sometimes second owner can then make a profit...its a fickle world we live in :partytime:

I believe that for a lot of folks,the hunt is the most important part of the whole watch experience. finding parts, visualizing the finished product are the best part. After the watch is complete,the member feels the need to move on to the next project. For many of us, the luxury of putting that project in the watch case and moving on to the next one isn't feasible. We need to sell them on to finance the next "project".

Unfortunately, the guy who builds the project almost always takes a big hit when he decides to sell. Sort of the price of playing the game. Another factor, and one that I remind new members about when they start planning very expensive builds, is that when the price of the watch gets over a certain figure, the number of potential buyers drop of a cliff. There just aren't that many folks who are willing or able to fork over 1-2K for a rep. When the price of a rep gets into that area, the seller is really competing with the genuine watch market, as there are lots of really good genuine watches both new and used for sale in that price range.

I believe that for a lot of folks,the hunt is the most important part of the whole watch ex

Definitely true for me.... As I wear my newly created franken/genenstein, my poor watch collection sits happily in its box wondering when I might wear the others again! I may have to move some along to some more appreciative owners ;)

i think its def leaning towards buyers market.

reasons:

-the economy being what it is, there must be lesser funds left in the "normal" household for watches. consumers must sell off rather than keep watches to fund new projects -> driving up quality in sales sections.

this is a tought experiment considering reps i have been thinking of for some time:

-lets divide the rep watch collector into two different groups:

group A: they service their watches, thus making them live for the same lifespan as a gen watch. (simplyfied, i know)

group B; they consume reps in the way that they dont intend to service (some or all) their watches, -> making them live for a shorter amount of time.

lets for simplicity say a rep is 1/10th the price of gen.

group A is getting a "luxury" item for the price of 1/10gen.

group B is getting a good item for the price of (1/10gen) / lifespan.

the propensity to hold reps in group A is greater than group B.

group B is by far outnumbering group A.

both groups trade in the forum markets

technological progress is cutting value on older replications. Cost over quality i dare state "H and N fact latest Pams priced at 2xx$" > "the mashup of lello dsn and EL priced at 1xxx$". this favours trading of older projects when rumoured new replications surface (the expected value of our older reps in our rather small market is falling)

any toughts on this?