When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some lume help!

gmtlover

Ok so I am going to do some lume modding for the first time.

I know it is an art and requires a lot of practice and a steady hand.

I am going to practice on a few cheap dials I have here, 2 hublots, 2 franck mullers, 2 breitlings and 2 rolexes.

After that I would like to try this:

I have a bk DSSD but I would like to fit Trevor's hour markers on the dial and superlume it. Because I think the BK dial and Trevor's hour markers are the perfect combo.

Before I start reluming I have to remove the old lume first.

I did some research here and tried a few, paint thinner, enamel thinner and acetone.

The acetone worked great on BK's hourmarkers, but nothing seems to work on Trevor's lume.

Anybody got any idea??

These are the dials

post-41219-0-24352900-1349988503_thumb.j

Ill soak the dial dots / markers over night in acetone. Then stick them to an index card with double sideded tape. I can't then press into the dot and the old lume pops out or the dot shots across the room. :)

I do the same with the hands, soak them and the old lume softens. I gently scrape it out, then apply my special mix.

The key with the hands is 1 getting the correct thickness so the lume spreads on nicely from the back while NOT messing up the front.

2 not scratching the front of the hands,

Good luck, let's see some pics!!!!!

My infos all trial and mostly error, it would be cool if a pro would chime in

I've even tried drilling it out, but it's nearly impossible to ge a good hold of the dot, you don't want to damage it either. Could you just overlay a coat? Good thing you have practice dials :)

Goin workshop is on facebook, he posts tons of pictures of lumeing in progress.

You inspired me to open up my beater GMT IIc and relume it. I wanted to do it quick and easy. Relume it with the dial and hands attached. However I'm in the same situation with the makers - dots there's not enough space for a top coat of lume. Maybe sourcing new modern dial dots is the key. That way if you lose one or botch one you have back ups and something to practice on.

I have 3 spare dials with hour markers from Trevor so enough spares ;-) there should be some product that makes the lume dissolve.. At least I hope. And of course I have to be carefull because I do not want to damage the hour makers.

I can't just put a layer on top of it because as you can see in my picture on the left dial the markers are already filled up all the way.

Maybe someone can source the big hour markers without lume in it??