When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So, I'm an idiot...

aleksandr

... and somehow managed to totally wreck (and when I say totally wreck, I mean it is screwed and will not work) the movement on my gen Yachtmaster I. Seawater got in somehow or other, I left it to rust, and to cut a long story short Rolex wants something in the region of 6 grand from me to fix it. Which of course I'm not willing to pay, seeing as if I top up a little bit more I can buy a perfectly fine used one.

I've looked on eBay and I note that a replacement 3135 movement runs 2 grand, which I am willing to consider, and also there is a clone 3135 movement out there which I see has gotten some decent press (although I note its currently out of stock, but am willing to wait around a it). The thing is, I have next to no idea how to replace a movement on a watch, and am pretty sure I do not want to (try to) learn. Would appreciate recommendations on my options, and in particular a reference to someone who can work on replacing the movement (whether the gen or clone) if I send the watch to them, in particular considering that I'm located outside the US so shipping / insurance may be an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I am sorry to read the anguish you have just experienced as we have all had some dissapointment in this field one way or another . I cannot answer your question directly, but I would be more worried about what has caused the problem in the first place?.

Replacing the movement and risking the same event happening again is not the answer. Prior to being a replica owner, I once owned a genuine 16600 Seadweller which had a leak in the helium escape valve which could not be resolved, simply because the case hole where the valve sat in was pitted. On the outside it looked mint but the pressure test said a different story. Believe it or not Stainless steel pitting is worse than rust on ordinary iron, because once it starts you cannot stop it unless you grind it out. Replacing the case was very expensive, so I ended up scrapping it for spares - getting my money back. One of the many reasons I would never again invest big$$$$$$ into a genuine Rolex as the stainless steel regardless of 904L or 316L will pit with time. I would recommend having the case checked out for any pits as if the pit is too big or in the wrong place, I would never put it into a bucket of water - let alone swim with it.

If your watch has no pits , then it would be the seals and crown. Change them!!!! Now I would consider replacing it with a 3135 which you can buy on ebay as you mentioned for approx 2 grand or you can buy it from a donor 34 mm DATE (Someone with more experience can fill us in with more information on this possiblity) and ask a watchmaker to do the swap which I believe should not cost the earth.

Rolex philosophy seems to imply that if you cannot replace to buy new then you should not afford to maintain second hand either!!!!. I hope that this has in some way given you some direction as to which direction to take. Good Luck!!

You need to have an experienced watchsmith who doesn't work for Rolex look at it. The movement may well be repairable. I have had an AP, Breitling and Vintage Rolex all with rust and water damage and my watchsmith was able to repair them. If that is the case it should be well under $1,000. If the movement really needs to be replaced than you should buy your own and the cost should still be less than half. I have gotten my best watch buys on watches in your YM's condition for exactly this reason.

• 1 month later...