When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage audio

Nanuq

I'm sitting here tonight wondering, what have I done??!!

I have a collection of vintage audio gear ca. the 1960s, each piece selected for a reason.

My daughter called me this week saying she spotted a pristine pair of vintage Klipsch speakers at a local donation store, and I was on them like white on rice. So tonight I have them home, installed and playing some very very tasty Mahler in the Mountain House as I write this. The heavens have opened and God Himself is smiling.

But my heart is broken. Why? Because I disconnected my beloved vintage JBLs to hook up the Klipsch.

Yes, they're that good. Vintage JBL are the gods in the pantheon of ancient audio gear, and these Klipsch speakers, the usurpers, unseated the JBLs.

My world has been rocked. Nothing is as it was. Everything is up for grabs, spinning in the yawning Sixties chasm.

What have I done?!

I hear you (no pun). I grew up with JBLs in the '60s.

As for the Klipsches, if they're the horns, they only really come into their own when you turn it up to 11. Seriously, they need the amplitude.

I recommend the opening of Mahler's 5th, Bernstein conducting of course, and a nice Cohiba. Then you can practice disassembling and reassembling your gen 6541 Milgauss on a Burger King tray. At least that's what I like to do.

Edited by physch

Oh.My.GOD. You understand! :notworthy:

No Cohibas for me, rather a fine akkevit (Linie, for the unwashed heathen among us) as I sail these uncharted seas.

My God, these Klipsch sound good. It's Valhalla and the Valkyries now!

(at least until my favorite wife comes down and *cough* suggests I turn it down a little....

:ph34r:

I'm not a hard core audiophile...but I do apperciate my music and the way It sounds. I have some big ass Pioneer speakers...about four feet tall from the late 80's. I'm sure they can't compare to many of the sound systems out there today. But this set up has brought the popo to my house more than once. They also make the windows rattle. I like that In my stereo/speaker set up.

Just got through listting to one of my favorite Gershwin pieces. I must admit....this older stereo/speaker system still kicks ass.

Thanks for the reminder Nanuq. Some of the older stuff Is still bad ass. :) Actually It's music to my ears. ;)

Pianist.. Maxim Eshkenazy performance leaves me speechless. Enjoy.