When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

3646 Type C project...

projectologist

I recently got inspired to finish up a 3646 after seeing this upcoming auction review...

http://www.vintagepanerai.com/tag/dr-crott/

I decided to go with a hybrid combination of a Type C case (droopy top surface, flatter bottom surface) and a Type D bezel. I have seen this combination at a GTG with a RP dial.

So far...

• Silix case reshaped and lug wires will be shortened/re-bent (not going solid as I like to swap straps)

• NW case back which will get a subtle bevel and full polish

• Hixxy bezel (pic below shows it getting cut down just a little and bevel angle changed)

• Gen Patent Oyster crown (thanks to PSofC) correct for the Type C case

Still lots to do... dial and hands sitting in the wings.

Here's my gen crown front and back (mine I inset into the pic from a ref. book with a gen Type C case documented). It's 6mm as compared to the more common Brevet style which is 7mm. It was a very lucky find :)

crown6mm01.jpg

There isn't a lot of metal to work with at the corner tips, so I was pretty happy that I was able to make them more defined.

RP03a.jpg

RP01a.jpg

RP02a.jpg

bezelMod01.jpg

Nice ingredients so far, what plexi are you going to use? A low dome? Look forward to the end results :)

Thanks. The re-shaping was the hardest part. The rep cases are pretty far off.

I'll go with the plexi in the pics. German-made, package isn't in front of me, Ster... or Stur.... something I believe. I have another from the same maker with a touch more rise overall.

Thanks. The re-shaping was the hardest part. The rep cases are pretty far off.

I'll go with the plexi in the pics. German-made, package isn't in front of me, Ster... or Stur.... something I believe. I have another from the same maker with a touch more rise overall.

Looks nice with that bezel type, mine is a NW tall bezel but the NW plexi low dome is too small in circumference .... I'd be interested in getting one for mine .

Thanks! Using a dial I have left from a couple I got from a little dial project 2 years ago. Notice the correct ovalized "O" missing from most current effort RP dials. Actual lume color isn't quite as yellow as the pics.

RPproto05.jpg

RPdial01a.jpg

Going with a trouble-free Swiss 6497 and re-threading the stem to fit the gen Rolex crown. Tourby hands.

Stellar!!!! I love the dial there and no I had no idea that the O on radiomir was more oval shaped. Gonna spend so,e time reviewing my collection of reference images now :) thanks for the knowledge!

My 2 3646 builds are going under some "renovations" as well and I love the idea of that great crown.

Can't wait to see more!

Great work Rob.. :) OOI though mate.... I thought the crown (Brevet style) varied on some versions... I know Brevet just means 'copyright' or 'trademark' and thought that the crowns varied in size and knurling? Is that right or was it the Brevet style as above and then the different variations like yours?

Nice work on the shaping...I know how hard this is mate...you done a great job...Its nice to see this sort of stuff outside the enigma that is VDB ;)

Edited by PeteM