When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scratch on Crystal or AR coating?

DeeCee

As you can see on the picture. best pic I could get off my camera phone. I have a scratch on the watch which occurred from a bump into my friends watch.

My parents picked up this DSSD rep for me in Thailand, not sure if it has a saphhire crystal or not.

At certain angles the scratch turns to silverish color.

How would I go about getting a scratch off the crystal or getting the AR coating off? any help is appreciated. Thanks

post-42590-0-75381600-1352012029_thumb.j

First off I would try the finger nail feel across the scratch... though i am not aware of any DSSDs with AR OTB.

If you feel the scratch then it is what it is.... if you dont then try some Rouge, or even capecod or what I use to remove AR (without a dremel) is stainless steel cleaner and microfibre cloth. You should quickly see any AR residue coming off the area you are rubbing holding it to light at an angle...

However I thgink you will find its a scratch of the crystal.... you can get a special paste with is made specifically to help reduce or remove crystal scratches..(assuming its sapphire and not synthetic)

You can get these paste sets from most watch tool suppliers or eBay but I would first try Offshore's WatchBitz section in the TDs section.... you will also find tutorials in the How To's and also on Youtube

The process is easy but requires a stage approach and care

Edited by PeteM

Thanks for the info guys, I ran my finger nail over it and it is a scratch for sure. I have tried to polish it off with a polishing cloth with no results.

Looks like it will have to find something to remove scratches on the crystal. Now the hard part is trying to find out if it is a saphire crystal or not.

Anyone have any tips on how to figure that out?

There are a few tricks... but one i use is ...

Drop a droplet of water on it as it lays on a flat surface (might need to remove bracelet etc but just make sure watch is level.... ) then see what the droplet does..if it sits as a drop and doesnt move its sapphire if it spreads out its a mineral..do it a few times just to be sure..