When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big Pilot from Andrew

braf

Hi all,

I have just received my 4th rep from Andrew an IWC Big Pilot. I must say it is a fantasic watch but I was a little underwhelmed with some of the features and just wanted your opinion.

The watch I bought was:

http://www.ttw168.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30_238&products_id=9380

On the listing were some sample QC pictures and a video of the watch - looks fantastic - double AR, superlume dial etc exactly what I wanted!

When I received my QC pictures from Andrew the watch didn't seem to have really blue haze that you get from double AR - so I pointed this out to Andrew to which he said it had.

I thought it must have just been the lighting or something so gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Now the watch has arrived, it really doesn't seem to have that lovely blue haze as can be seen in the sample video and the lume is pretty poor!

I have emailed Andrew my concerns and he insists its the correct watch and it has the double AR and superlume. "Try to expose the IWC BP under strong light and check the lume. And AR will be best seen in under bright sunlight.. "

I am just a little unsure...I feel like it could be an old version or something? I thought I'd ask you guys your opinion? Have I received the watch I paid for?

Here are some side by side examples of the QC pictures on the website and my QC pictures:

18913AB0-6AFE-4DB7-8D63-3BB16CD27F34-225-0000000D6A8DEA0B-1.jpg

My QC:

C76D7999-F5ED-4B05-9FCD-0F15BE558017-225-0000000D616562B9-1.jpg

D11312CA-C2E3-4FDA-A231-2A7B8081B130-225-0000000D7B027BAC.jpg

My QC:

BA694A70-BEE2-40E8-B8AE-006C6161D47B-225-0000000D748E0A69-1.jpg

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

It's an unfortunate thing but here's my experience with Andrew. What you see in the QC pics is what you get. Lighting, reflections whatever.

The deep blue AR in the comparison pics is definitely not there in your QC pics but you agreed to it so you're stuck with it. Lesson learned. Regardless of what Andrew said, you assumed it was the as the comparison pics. Your mistake when buying a rep from China was assuming.

Andrew is great for the most part. I had to send a watch back for repair. It was an expensive super rep with an ETA that worked for 1 day then died. I assumed it would be quickly replaced with a new one. I even mentioned I would be willing to pay a little more if needed to make that happen. Nope, sent for repair. Now I'm waiting for 21-30 working days for the watch to be fixed. Then another week to be shipped with another chance that it gets caught by customs. BUT, it is a rep watch and Andrew didn't have to do anything. He could've said tough break.

In my mind he's about as good as you're gonna get in the rep world. A dealer willing to cover a repair and return shipping on his dime on a watch that's illegally manufactured, purchased and shipped internationally is pretty darn good. All I had to do was pay to ship it to him.

Dmb350 - thanks for your response. My gripe is that when I received the QC pictures I raised my concerns with Andrew about the AR (I couldn't tell with the lume) he assured me that it had the double lume. Even my emails since receiving the watch he said it 'definitely' had the double AR and superlume.

I feel a bit conned right now, I've bought 4 reps all from Andrew and recommended him to friends. Needless to say I'm not impressed!

I don't blame you. Same here. He's the best dealer I've used BUT each time I've seen an issue in the QC pics and mentioned it he's re-assured me it will be corrected or the watch is the one described. I have yet to receive a watch that didn't have an issue that wasn't corrected or even worse I couldn't see in the QC pics. 2 ultimate editions had mech. issues and 1 had bracelet issues that couldn't be seen because they are wrapped in plastic.

I just received a Rolex Explorer 2. It's the best 1:1 I've ever seen. He has side by side comparison pics with the gen. and it is spot on. Cosmetically it's probably as good as you are going to get but it came with the dial flopping around inside the case and the bell wasn't screwed in so it had come loose inside the case also.

Opened up the back to find the works secured with 1 screw (should have at least 2-4) so the dial just kept moving up and down. The bell was just not screwed in. Removed the "fake" cover from the screw and secured it. Then used a donor watch's tabs/screws to secure the works. It allowed me to align the rehault engraving perfectly. :)

The watch is now completely awesome but it took me getting it there. So I guess the moral of the story is: be damn sure what you see in the QC pics is acceptable, believe nothing your told that you can't verify in the pics, be prepared to correct any issues you may have yourself and pray you get a "good" one. :) Welcome to the most frustrating hobby I've found yet. :)

After a bit more kicking off, i've had this response from Andrew:

"I checked with factory. Your watch is with the new colorless AR like those in the new version Panerais. It is definitely correct as there is ONLY 1 factory making this IWC BP

Thanks"

To be honest I'd have no doubt that this is the latest Big Pilot available. The factories get all the parts in batches. This batch of crystals could have colourless AR. For a big pilot that's less accurate I think but it's just a bit of bad luck.

Superlume can be a bit disappointing if you expect too much of it. Put it in some sunlight and then into a dark room and it should be quite bright, but the impressive brightness only lasts 10 mins or so.

• 2 weeks later...

the real 5004 has a bluish tone but nothing as strong as the older versions of the pilots. consider yourself lucky to get a newer version cause you'd be removing the outer ar as soon as possible. that rep blue ar was way too dark. i have a chief ar pilot and a taka ar pilot crystal, the chief is clear and the taka has a light blue hue like the original. but anything was better than the old blue ar, even no ar.

You are lucky!

The BP you have has the correct Dial. Look at the 2 little dots besides the triangle at 12 o'clock.

So you have the best version avalible. ;-)

Here is mine (relumed by Wiz): http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=34080

Cheers,

Steffen.