When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Microsoft Surface & Windows 8 RT

redwatch

Had the chance to play around with a Microsoft Surface today. I must admit its a pretty nice piece of kit. The kick stand makes this tablet work. Such a simple idea and yet it truly defines the unit. I don't know why apple didn't think of it. That fold up cover is useless.

Anyways I have an iPad 3 which I like but I think I like the Surface a little bit more.

Any thoughts or comments? Anyone else have one or tried one yet?

Had the chance to play around with a Microsoft Surface today. I must admit its a pretty nice piece of kit. The kick stand makes this tablet work. Such a simple idea and yet it truly defines the unit. I don't know why apple didn't think of it. That fold up cover is useless.

Anyways I have an iPad 3 which I like but I think I like the Surface a little bit more.

Any thoughts or comments? Anyone else have one or tried one yet?

Looks neat indeed.

I've owned 3 ipads so far and can't see myslef using anything else for now. How long does it last on a charge ?

I think the issue with MS is they always find a way to make things overly complicated and non intuitive. I recently had the "pleasure" of using the MS Sync that came with a rental car and it was just awful. It took me a while to figure out how to just get my iphone to be selected as a source and every time I got in the car I had to do it all over again.

I want to see a review of people actually using it for a while and see if they get frustrated with the small little things that the MS developers just can't get it right.

I am hoping to hear from someone who actually used it for the typical Office applications - Excel, Word, etc.. Does it use real Office? If you can work on an Office doc and simply save and send to your desktop for further work than it is a must have for me. Without that capability I stick with my IPAD. But god I hate dealing with QuickOffice, etc. It just isn't the same.

For sure you can install office on it as well as using office 365 in the cloud, Much better than the ipad for work related activities.

The interface does take a bit of getting used to with my first couple of goes ending up in frustration and I'm a systems administrator with over 20 years in the industry :)

For sure you can install office on it as well as using office 365 in the cloud, Much better than the ipad for work related activities.

The interface does take a bit of getting used to with my first couple of goes ending up in frustration and I'm a systems administrator with over 20 years in the industry :)

D-

Great info. If you are an old school windows user doing light office work is it a good travel substitute.

Absolutely, this is what they are made for.

There is a temporary Microsoft store a few blocks down so I think I will endure the next Nor'Easter today and go check it out. Does anyone understand the issue of RT and the upcoming real Windows 8 version which I read is coming out in a few months? Are there severe limitations on the RT platform?

There is a temporary Microsoft store a few blocks down so I think I will endure the next Nor'Easter today and go check it out. Does anyone understand the issue of RT and the upcoming real Windows 8 version which I read is coming out in a few months? Are there severe limitations on the RT platform?
Hey W, RT will solely run Metro apps, nothing else, due to the fact that they are running on ARM processors.Whereas Win 8 Pro runs both desktop programs and Metro apps. :) Edited by coolfire

I am hoping to hear from someone who actually used it for the typical Office applications - Excel, Word, etc.. Does it use real Office? If you can work on an Office doc and simply save and send to your desktop for further work than it is a must have for me. Without that capability I stick with my IPAD. But god I hate dealing with QuickOffice, etc. It just isn't the same.

it comes with Office RT version and does work, there is no need to send to a desktop or laptop all you do is use skydrive and the doc will be there for you, all of your music will sync with any device where you use your account to login. including the new windows 8 phone. I have been using windows 8 in my laptop and in my tablet for sevral month already. if you really want to know if the surface will work for you, you need to see in person. also surface runs flash, I believe that Ipad does not do that. your kids can login using their own live account and only have the own app pool jusr for kids.