When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone In Nyc That Can Tap A Sub Case For A Gen Tube?

lionsandtigers

What makes you think you need to tap the hole?

First you should remove the rep tube, which is the hardest part, then you can compare the threads on the rep to the gen. A lot of times they'll match up ok and you can just screw the gen in. Ziggy did this on one of his tutorials when he swapped out the tube and crown. I've done ok on a couple of mine, but that's not to say all rep tubes have the same hole threads as the gen. We already know the outside threads (where the crown screws in) don't match on rep and gen.

You can buy the tap from ofrei.com, 6mm, but you have to buy the 5.3mm with it since they're sold in pairs. Around $40. Any watchmaker who works on reps should be able to do it for you, if you don't want to try it yourself. I'd think it's a $15-25 operation. You'd also need the tool for screwing in the gen tube, although some people have gotten by w/ a Torx screwdriver. You might use loc-tite or GS hypocement on the threads when putting the tube in, for waterproofing purposes.

I don't know about the TW classic, mine have been CN cases. But pulling out the TW case tube would be the first order of business- Ziggy's rat tail file works pretty good for that, take out the inner o-ring w/ the tweezers and jam the file in there (movts out, of course) and turn counterclockwise. If the TW casetube happens to have grooves, you could use an appropriate tool, but I have yet to see a rep case tube w/ grooves.

At that point you can compare the two sets of threads and if they appear different, then it's time to get the hole tapped to be safe. If the threads match, you can always try turning the gen case tube in by hand until you meet resistance. If you get 3-4 turns, you're probably OK. Pull it out, put some glue on and tighten her up.

Tapping the hole is just a matter of running the tap in the hole and turning it until you're satisfied that you gone far enough to seat the case tube correctly. As I recall, drill size for a fresh hole would be 2.6mm and the tap is a 3mm tap (but don't hold me to that). But you already have a hole, so all you would be doing is running the tap in.