When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Found a watchmaker in my home town :)

icoopernicus

I live in a small town in Ontario Canada, about 10,000 people, and I have found a watchmaker who is currently repairing a broken jewel in my ETA 2836 movement from my DSSD. he has offered to call when the new jewel arrives and show me how to press it in. This is pretty exciting, it sounds like he is willing to teach me the ropes a little bit.

Is it just me, or would this not be exciting for anyone else on the forum. Just wanted to share my news with you guys.

• Like 1

I have the same luck where I live. He is a retired watchmaker but he has moved his whole shop into his home. He had spent a large part of his life in Switzerland where he worked in some of the well known watch manufactures. He is very knowledgeable and he even has a young apprentice. He always frowns when I bring him a rep but he works on it nonetheless. :-)

i think that a lot of those old guys are just really looking for something to do and someone who shares their passion for watches. Not much real watchmaking going on these days. Most of what theyare doing is battery changes, adjusting a new bracelet, etc. most of the watches sold today are "throwaway". Folks go out and buy a 30-50 buck quartz, and when it' stops, they throw it in the trash and buy another, or at best they take it to the watch guy in the mall or Walmart, and get the battery changed. If it's not a run down battery, it's trashed. SO when someone comes along that has a "real" watch with a "real" mechanical movement, they are tickled to work on it. Not all of them, but quite a lot, especiallly those in small towns and small cities.

I have a CW21 certified watch maker in town who is incredibly busy and works on a ton of watches. He has a lot of accounts with jewelers in town, so he's constantly working. I agree with you, though, that they want to share their passion. We talk movements and brands for an hour sometimes. And while he quotes 90 days to a shop and charges a ton, my watches are generally done in two weeks and quite reasonably...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This gentleman definitely has the passion, he is retired from the job that I currently do and he also worked with my father. He took this up as a hobby and now it just fills his time at his own leisure. He said he gets a lot more business with requests for clocks but still loves to work on watches and seemed genuinely excited to see an ETA 2836 dropped off for repair.