When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advice for a Gen Watch

imajedi

A friend of mine is looking for a watch to get her soon to be husband as a wedding gift. She picked out an all black Movado which I refused to let her buy. Price range is $1k or less preferably around $600. He's a big guy so needs a big watch like 44mm. I think she's looking for something with a lot of black. Needs to be mostly casual but could be worn when dressed up.

I will vouch for the Hamilton X-Wind, have been wearing mine for a couple of weeks and this is a fantastic watch, Grab the black on bracelet and you can swap for any colour leather strap.

Very masculine watch, unlike that awful Movado.

The thing about 'non-watch people' looking for watches is they are often attracted to a semi noticeable brand, as opposed to an excellently crafted 'no name brand'. That's why 'Movado' probably struck a cord with her, it is a semi recognisable good brand. I know a few people like that, say the name Stowa or Magrette or Bernhardt or Benarus or any of the other names mentioned and you get a.... Que?! ...even though they are excellent watches. Yet the Movada, Rado, Maurice LaCroise, Raymond Weil or whatever tosh has some clout. Branding and advertising eh?! Have a look also into what can be picked up in that price range with the likes of Longines/Oris if going for the name, especially the Hydroconquest and big crown ranges, they are both dressy and sporty.....and much better than the Movado/Rado stuff. The Hamilton/Tissot ranges are great also.

Edit: Just thinking about it this Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono can be had discounted for under $1K and is great bang for the buck, it's big watch but has a classic allrounder look:

H32816131_1.jpg

Edited by cougar1