When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue dial Panerai

nwolf1716

229 is what's called a Firenze dial, which is a blue/indigo and the 89 is what's called an anthracite dial which is gray-slate.  The traditional blue dial Panerai lineup are the likes of 70, 82, 87, 93, 119, 252, 282, 290, 307, 326, 371, probably some more I forgot including a ton of SEs.

They're OK but not great.  Some parts used in the watch are good as standalones. Ex. the crown and the caseset that are copied from a genuine crown and a Noob 111J watch respectively, but as a whole the watch has too many flaws in key areas to consider it a super rep.

The only 229H rep available is by DSN.

Some inaccuracies:

+/- Crown is decent but not period correct.

- CG lever tip shape & length off, lever pin too large.

- Case is way overpolished, loss of edge detail, lug profile is too beefy.

- Crystal optics aren't up to par (murky).

- Datewheel font is wrong.

- Cannon pinion not flush with minute hand & not polished (capped Asian chrono movement).

- Dial is all wrong (markers too far away from rehaut, they're scrunched toward the center, the shapes of 2 & 6 are off, LF-P font is a different font family with wrong kerning)

- Caseback fonts are off, ex. "OROLOGERIA" is in a serif font on the gen.

This is more or less par for the course on most of David's watches. If it was fewer, less obvious things, e.g. if the dial & crystal were OK but the rest sucked - it would still be fine as a project watch - you'd just need to work out the kinks, but as it stands, you're getting 2008 quality in 2012.

I have an old version 229 

It has nothing about it that is like the gen, The case is wrong , wrong lugs , wrong crystal , wrong date font , wrong case back  terrible Crown Gaurd . That is if you compare it to the genuine which there were only 100 made.

This is a crappy phone pic from this morning , my black berry camera is rubbish

panerai229.jpg

For me its a great watch I love the sunburst blue dial and recessed seconds and silver hands.

I also really like buying from Davidsen , he is really quick to deliver and when i broke the stem I sent it back and he repaired it quick sharp.

p1020174nz.jpg

I got in to this malarkey to wear replicas of watches I could never afford . I have had this watch for 4 years so for around $350 . I reckon its pretty good , but each to his own.