When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gen and rep comparison, is this real?

nomis

Can it be mod?

Gen should be shorter, right?

Its more so the edges and the logo. The finish is different, but its a hard tell. Don't worry about it. With good OTB PAM's you should just change to OEM strap and you're good to go. The Rep straps are horrible in my book.

Its more so the edges and the logo. The finish is different, but its a hard tell. Don't worry about it. With good OTB PAM's you should just change to OEM strap and you're good to go. The Rep straps are horrible in my book.

The poster was referring to the crown tube length which is an immediate tell, more so than the crown itself. And adding to that problem is the fact that the crowns usually don't thread flush to the tube as can be seen on the rep in the comparo pics.

Lug wire length and angle are another big tell, but that can be fixed just as the crown tube length can be.

Crown tube length on rep Rads has been an issue since day one, and the latest 292's are the only model that has it right so far.

The poster was referring to the crown tube length which is an immediate tell, more so than the crown itself. And adding to that problem is the fact that the crowns usually don't thread flush to the tube as can be seen on the rep in the comparo pics.

Lug wire length and angle are another big tell, but that can be fixed just as the crown tube length can be.

Crown tube length on rep Rads has been an issue since day one, and the latest 292's are the only model that has it right so far.

yes, that is the part i can tell the different.....

for the 292, noob maker is better or h maker is better?

If only all these replica manufacturers on all watches could improve on their depth of engraving...but thats doubtful to ever happen.  Since there are so many variations in every brand and model watch I usually just  look at the detail of engraving and its a giveaway everytime.  Thats why I seem to stick to the simpler watches like your choice above.  A new OEM strap and a crown fix on this model above would make it pass as a GEN to 99% of the people out there

Agreed... The real tell is the crown tube that is too long, making a gap between crown and the case!!!

But it's crazy good, the rep !! :)

Yep yep, that too. Definitely gives it away.. But again it isn't really an issue as,

1. people would barely have the chance to look that closely or inspect your watch.

2. They'd have to know what to look for, even Gen owners of the Radiomir won't really attempt to notice this flaw unless needed be.

You Should be fine, I reckon its a great buy. Mods are great, but for me I prefer having out the box reps, and this is a great rep. My reasoning being is that modding it would increase your cost by a lot, and since the value of this watch is about $4,000USD, paying anymore than $300-$500 doesn't make sense to me. Keep in mind there IS a quality difference between reps and gen, not only in the movement, but also in the stainless steel being used etc. So enjoy your reps, but don't expect it to be the same as the gen :)

If only all these replica manufacturers on all watches could improve on their depth of engraving...but thats doubtful to ever happen.  Since there are so many variations in every brand and model watch I usually just  look at the detail of engraving and its a giveaway everytime.  Thats why I seem to stick to the simpler watches like your choice above.  A new OEM strap and a crown fix on this model above would make it pass as a GEN to 99% of the people out there

Let me tell you something. Without a strap and the crown fix, it would pass for much more than 99.9999% of the people out there. With those fixes you can add another 9 to that number and still be on the safe side.

It's easy to forget how few people can spot a rep with macro pictures online, and only a fraction of those would be able to spot a good rep at real life situations. 

At least with some brands, with pictures I can spot most reps in a heartbeat. In real life, it's much harder unless I grab the poor guy's wrist and look closely.

Let me tell you something. Without a strap and the crown fix, it would pass for much more than 99.9999% of the people out there. With those fixes you can add another 9 to that number and still be on the safe side.

It's easy to forget how few people can spot a rep with macro pictures online, and only a fraction of those would be able to spot a good rep at real life situations. 

At least with some brands, with pictures I can spot most reps in a heartbeat. In real life, it's much harder unless I grab the poor guy's wrist and look closely.

I'd have to agree with you. I was looking at someone's AP rep, and it looked great on the wrist. It would seem like his family could afford it, and hence he could pull it off. But after starring at it for a few minutes over and over again, only then I was convinced it was a rep. Ultimately the pushers confirmed it, and on the wrist its even hard to tell about the crown height and the thickness, although I had a hinge and knew what to look for. (Lesson learned: Modded pushers is a must) Again, an AP is an obvious tell with these flaws, and a Panerai as such is much harder(PAM111, 380, etc). So long you can pull it off, these minute errors are virtually irrelevant. And as pointed out by members here, there's no perfect rep, but pretty darned close ones.  ;)

Edited by folex

• 3 weeks later...