When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 3035 movement keep stopping

CJT74

I don't know of any trusted members. I was reffered to one but he stated he couldn't get parts if needed and hasn't responded to my email so I assume he doesn't really want the job. I was just joking about mailing the watch. I ship about 50 orders a week in my business so I'm well versed on shipping. My joke was about the USPS in general as they actually suck. I would go with UPS or Fed Ex.

"I am actually getting pretty good working on them. I have two ETA 2863 movements that I plan to use as practice. One is mint and works perfect and the other doesn't. It's complete but won't stay running. Basically the same problem my 3035 had. I plan to tear it down for practice."

The hairspring on the 3035 is laser welded to the collet and this connection is very, very fragile and a common source of trouble. If you make one wrong move while handling the balance assembly, the hs/collet connection may come apart and you will need a 'balance complete' (pn 5019) for about $500 at today's 'bargain' prices. There is no proper shop repair for this ailment. Sometimes a fine running 3035 powered watch will stop for no apparent reason and this is sometimes the problem. The hairspring can come loose at any time but handling the balance assembly during service is a great opportunity to cause this trouble.

Many repair shops will not touch the 3035...they fix it and it runs fine, then the hs decides to come loose a few months later.

...or some boogerhead superglued the hs to the collet when they broke it and it comes apart during service etc, etc.

High beat rolex watches will run on and on without service and sometimes you will find one end of the balance staff worn down. This is sometimes caused by lack of service and laying the watch either face up or face down all the time at night. When the oil goes bad the balance staff will start grinding itself away and after a while the balance staff has enough metal ground away to cause excessive clearance between the cap jewels and balance staff tips to make the balance wheel rub something or bind up and stop the watch. This presents itself by running Ok with the dial in the vertical plane but stopping dial up or dial down.

The fix is a new balance staff. Not too bad but these balance wheels are flimsy, fragile, and prone to damage unless the repair guy is A-1.

No matter what, the movement probably needs c/o and a new mainspring.

I will service it for free! You need some patience as I want to review and compare it to a 3135 clone. And off course broken parts that need to be replaced will come of your expense.

Have a looke here and shoot me a PM if you are in...

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/153892-angus-is-sending-me-a-3135-clone-to-tear-apart/