When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my 5513, all together & making me sad, help

lionsandtigers

watchmaker called. movement needed a new wheel (center wheel maybe, dont remember what he said) and its getting a full service. when he put it on the machine it was running like crap, said it would be loosing about 5+ minutes a day and the handset appeared to be wrong as well.

Guy could care less when I told him the case was "aftermarket" so that was a big plus, was the only thing making me nervous. Hopefully I will still have it back at the end of the week but who knows now since it needs that part replaced. Even with the service, which is far less than what rolex charges, I am still coming out on top with a great deal for the movement.

The canon pinion snaps down past a bulge.  If it was not seated all the way down, you would not be able to set it.  I say that as per a 1570...never disassembled a 1560.  The second pinion is a pin with a tiny gear on the end and is driven indirectly.  My guess is that the minute wheel is not meshing.  Does the movement tick, but just not drive the minute and hour hand?

Movement parts are mostly available.  If all the parts are there then I would take it to a watch maker and just ask him to check it out.  $100 should do it.  You paid more than that for the crystal.  If your concerned about reppiness, then take the movement out of the watch and take it to a watch maker.

Edited by preacher62

A bit late to the party here, but out of curiosity, did you install a friction washer between the center wheel and the dial?  if the center gear is slightly unseated, you'll be able to manually set the time, but it won't track with the movements progress if it's not meshing properly.

People with the ETA 24XX GMT's will find a similar problem with the 24 hour hand if the center gear isn't meshing correctly.

Guest zeleni kukuruz
A bit late to the party here, but out of curiosity, did you install a friction washer between the center wheel and the dial? if the center gear is slightly unseated, you'll be able to manually set the time, but it won't track with the movements progress if it's not meshing properly.

People with the ETA 24XX GMT's will find a similar problem with the 24 hour hand if the center gear isn't meshing correctly.

Yeha, this makes sence!

never heard of doing that with a gen dial and movement. maybe on an eta but we're dealing with apples and oranges here. movement needed a service anyway so its all being taken care of.

Glad it's getting serviced so it'll give you great performance in the future, but yes, all 15XX series movements all have washers, and yours needed one.