When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean servicing

XFi

Hi all,

I am about to buy a v5 Planet Ocean 42mm. I've done some reading and came to the conclusion that I better save some money by opting for the Asian clone ETA 2824 movement. Since I understand that the condition in which it will arrive wont be excellent, I believe it is better to let it service first before using it (goes the same for the Swiss ETA, no?). That way, I will have a very reliable movement...

Now my question. Can I let it service by a regular watch smith? Should I just ask to clean and oil the movement? And what should this cost me?

If I cannot let this do by a regular watch smith, does anyone of you know a good watch smith in Belgium, preferably Brussels...?

Thanks!

I would just get the watch and use it before any service, just let it run and use it, if it is keeping good time and everything working well then no need to service it, use it until it causes issues. Honestly I have no issues with my a2824, never had an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky with them. Think about service later if the watch is a keeper etc. You may even be modding it soon enough if it is a keeper ;)

You can buy a whole movement to replace it  for around $80 (Seagull st2130) if it causes problems later so wouldnt worry too much. Keep an eye on the crown/tube screwdown with the PO's, they can cause bigger issues being honest, but that can be fixed with a gen crown/tube at a cheap price if it does. Enjoy the watch!

I would just get the watch and use it before any service, just let it run and use it, if it is keeping good time and everything working well then no need to service it, use it until it causes issues. Honestly I have no issues with my a2824, never had an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky with them. Think about service later if the watch is a keeper etc. You may even be modding it soon enough if it is a keeper ;)

You can buy a whole movement to replace it  for around $80 (Seagull st2130) if it causes problems later so wouldnt worry too much. Keep an eye on the crown/tube screwdown with the PO's, they can cause bigger issues being honest, but that can be fixed with a gen crown/tube at a cheap price if it does. Enjoy the watch!

Thanks! So basically you suggest: get the Asian clone, enjoy it, and service it when it is needed?

Also, how easy is it getting a new movement and find someone to install it, knowing that I am from Belgium and would not really like to send it too far away :)

No problem, yes, more often than not the movement will work away quite happily for years before it starts causing issue, if at all. I know the condition of these isn't the best out of the factory but they can still perform just fine without intervention for a long time. If you have a local watchmaker he may charge anything from 50 to 100 euro for service if something goes wrong, swaping out the movement is often easier. If the watch had a complicated chrono movement like an AP roo seconds @ 12 then a service immediately is a good option, but with the basic 3 handers it is not vital to do it that quickly.

A replacement movement could be the swiss kind i.e. eta 2824, or a seagull clone movement or a sellita, they can be found easily on ebay or parts sections of the forums, or from materials suppliers such as ofrei in the US or cousinsuk in the UK. There are modders on the forums, I don't know any from Belgium offhand but Domi and Uwe in Germany and Wiz in France, the usual method is to post out and wait a few weeks for service. Tbh a movement swap is an easy job, any local watchmaker could do it cheaply and have it back to you within the hour.

Here is an example of a direct swap seagull clone:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ETA-2824-2-AND-SELLITA-SW200-CLONE-MOVEMENT-SEAGULL-ST2130-100-EXACT-SAME-SPECS-/121038618528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e76bfa0

Edited by cougar1

Thanks! So basically you suggest: get the Asian clone, enjoy it, and service it when it is needed?

Also, how easy is it getting a new movement and find someone to install it, knowing that I am from Belgium and would not really like to send it too far away :)

XFi, I can confirm what cougar1 said about watchsmiths in Europe. Domi and Uwe are well known by members of replica forums. In France, Wiz (his name is wizi on RWG) is also very reliable. He's not so often on RWG, he's mainly present on RWI. Choosing a watchsmith in EU will avoid any problem with customs when you send or receive back the parcel containing your watch.

Servicing a movement is easy for any real watchsmith. The problem is to find a watchsmith who will accept to work on a replica. By law, they are supposed to keep the watch and destroy it immediately. And maybe call the police.

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks a lot to all of you! So I better not enter a regular watch smith and ask if he want to clean my watch :) At least I have some options now. However, it seems to me that it will indeed cost as much to let my watch service than to let someone replace the entire movement.

This all is, nonetheless, just in case in the future something will happen to my watch... First I have to find a good dealer (both price and quality) who want to send it to Belgium using UK transshipment. I know Josh and TrustyTime are reliable both also quite expensive compared to others. Anyone can recommend me a TD who will fit my needs?

Btw, so glad we're still alive and able to talk about watches on doomsday ;) Cheers!

• Like 1