When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

/

RWG Technical

The Zigmeister, I am experimenting with drilling lugholes. One thing that happens is that you can get bunching around the hole on the outside (i think depending upon how fast you try to drill the hole.) When you fixed up the hole - did you use a larger bit to countersink? Also - how do you polish around the holes afterwards? Any detail would be much appreciated. I want to get that nice polished look that you have. The dremel polish compund is not really meant to smooth out edges. Thanks!

Ziggy, I am experimenting with drilling lugholes. One thing that happens is that you can get bunching around the hole on the outside (i think depending upon how fast you try to drill the hole.) When you fixed up the hole - did you use a larger bit to countersink? Also - how do you polish around the holes afterwards? Any detail would be much appreciated. I want to get that nice polished look that you have. The dremel polish compund is not really meant to smooth out edges. Thanks!

With a sharp drill bit, you can avoid some of that bunching up of the metal around the outside of the hole... Normally I use one drill per hole, and throw them out after one use, that's how fast they get dull...

What I do in your situation, is take my flat Swiss needle file, and file off the metal until the area is nice and flat and smooth. You can take a larger drill and countersink the hole a bit after you use the file, in this example, I only used a file on the outside, no countersinking was done.

For polishing I use the Dremel with a round felt pad, and I use Metal Polish that is made for motorcyle or car aluminum and stainless wheels, it's got good bite and will polish up the rough stuff quickly...for the final buffing I use a cotton wheel in my bench grinder, and buff it up...

RG

WOW, I just saw the thread, I've been busy the past day or two and didnt realize Rob had posted the photos. I have to credit Eric for the genuine bezel insert that's the one that came on the watch.The pearl came from Ubiquitous (Thanks very much Randy), it put the icing on the cake!! I sourced the crystal from an Ebay auction (Astorlive) and of course Rob furnished the gen crown /tube and the fantastic skills to make it all come together.

This turned out to be a really beautiful watch. It's going to give my 1665 and genuine Tudor sub a serious run for wrist time.

Thanks to all who commented and we should all thank Rob for the wonderful job he does making our reps beautiful and ticking happily away.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Arthur