When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega 42mm Crown replacement

Shooter999

Hi everyone

These forums are awesome, so much helpful information.

I've decided to purchase my 1st rep and have decided to go for the PO 42mm from Joshua. As this is my 1st purchase I decided to go for the cheaper version to see how things go.

I'd like to use the watch as I would a gen and as such am looking to get it waterproofed, so that I can keep it on in the shower / swimming pool.

I've also read about the problems regarding the crown / tube. Do you recommend that I replace the crown & tube with gen parts at the same time I'm getting the waterproofing done?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in this as well.  I did the exact same thing.  I purchased the more inexpensive PO from Joshua to see how the transaction goes.  If all goes well, I have some higher-end reps in mind. 

But I was curious about the waterproof issue as well.  Care to share the info? 

This is an awesome forum, by the way!

Plenty of info on the crown/tube swap, just do a search "tube swap" and you'll find dozens of threads... it is doable if you are comfortable inside the case but maybe better to leave to a watchmaker or modder just to be sure. Lots of modders on the forums it just depends where you are based. Also no need to do the mod until the stock tube actually causes trouble, it may never cause trouble so you could be fine, its just a known issue that it may weaken and strip threads over time. Some people like to get these things out of the way sooner rather than later, but many do it while in the process of doing other mods, i.e. dial swap/relume/crystal swap etc.

start small and work your way up is the best advice. Tell yourself your going to learn the difference between a 21j and a eta clone movement.28XX. From there then jump into issues with certain movements and date/time placements (second hands at 6 or date at 4.5) once you have an idea of some of the common issues then you have a better guide up to look for what you want, from there then you can learn more about basic mods and etc. Slow and steady wins the race , just dont try to learn to much. And I did the crown/tube rep as my 2nd mod on my UPO as a newbie , its pretty easy if your stock tube isnt a pain just be patient and dont rush anything.