When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ready for my first rep, a Railmaster. Question about versions and dealers

Dovregubben

Hi!

I´m new to this, but have been browsing the forums and dealers for a while.

I have fallen in love with the Railmaster and going for it. Some dealers says 39mm and some 40mm, is this the same casing?

Also starting to think about the movement. Have read that the swiss ETA may not be the way to go, but also have read that even if it says swiss ETA, it might be a asian clone? (and a better choice than an old/worn swiss with asian repair-parts)

I also want the brown leather or crop strap, really liked the pictures of Stephanes watch in by-tors guide.

I see that Tony is not a trusted dealer, but he appears to have it with swiss eta. Is this for sure not an asian clone? Precious Time also have it, but no price listed.

I have also looked at watcheden with a asian automatic, not sure wich movement though. The one from watcheden is of course cheaper, but is this all down to the ETA/asian movement? Will the dial, sapphire and casing be almost identical? This particular one also have the closed back with the locomotive, something i fancy and also hides the movement.

Also, i am allowed to put direct links to this watches here in my post? 

Any help and thoughts are welcomed. Thank you

There area couple of versions of the railmaster, I have not seen any updates to the rail master since i had one about 5 years ago, if you post a photo of the one you have seen i can let you know if it is a the better version. I had a collection of these a few years ago so i spent a bit of time learning about them. 

Thanks for the reply.

The one from Tony OM033. This was my first choice, but started to worry about the swiss movement, wondering if an asian clone will last longer for me.

post-50542-0-41119100-1358698346_thumb.j

The one at PT, no pricetag, also swiss ETA

post-50542-0-81773700-1358698345_thumb.j

The one from WE, some asian movement. And also looks that it lacks the blueish-AR? Or is it just lighting. Also this one has the closed back with the locomotive.

post-50542-0-74664900-1358698344_thumb.j

IMO the first to looks much better, but i can be fooled. 

Hope it´s ok to use those pics in the forum? If not, let me know!

Edited by kjeksen

Be careful with these railmasters, as Andy says the old one is nowhere to be seen nowadays, but there are many poor quality or other variations about (ala watcheden one above) Tony will get you a railmaster no problem, it just might not be the older version with thin numberals/AR/better case set/gen alligator etc.

.....on the other hand, if they are back in production and Tony can source them then let us know.

Thanks for the warnings cougar1. 

I have asked for QC pics, so hopefully it´s the old version. I guess I can refuse the deal if i´m not satisfied with the pics? Or maybe change to another watch. I really want THAT version. PreciousTime just got back to me saying i can get the watch with a black leather strap, the brown is sold out. I guess that means it´s not the 2006 version either. Was a lot cheaper too infact. I cross my fingers that Tony will come through, will let you know.

Just got qc pics from Tony, and it has thinner numerals than the watcheden, but not sure that it is as thin as the beauty Stephane posted. 

Gold movement with Omega and 2500 stamped on it i think. Back says Constellation, Co-axial and i think Escapement. Looks also like it got the omega globe on the back, and also two other small engravings.

I get a brown gator strap, not sure of the quality of it, but it looks ok.

Since it is my first rep and i look forward to it, i accepted and hope i will be satisfied. Will post pics when i get it :)

Edited by kjeksen

• 8 months later...