When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finding the impossible

Thetoad

Well,this is my first attempt at this.

The topic is quite true.I am the owner of a watch made by a very upscale,inventive and at one time a profitable watch company.Unfortunately,it exists,,,,not.

As standard operating procedure this company wanted you to go to their Authorized Dealers for repairs,and possible replacement parts.This problem is compounded by the fact very unusual tools are required just to replace a strap.

The company,Wyler....the watch an El Camino..

Who out there has a possible solution for me,since no A.D's exist.I desperately want to replace the strap,but no jeweler,or watchmaker for that matter will touch it.

In its prime,they made some extraordinary pieces,especially their tourbillions.They were overpriced and they simply believed......."If you build it,,,,,they will buy it".what a shame

looks like it's a pretty simple task to get the Torx screws out from the photos I googled up, but the problem may lie in the strap itself. no telling what type of attachment they use under that upper and lower case. if it just conceals a set of lugs and a conventional type springbar attachment, you are OK, but i would bet that they have some weird attachment setup to attach the strap to the case. So, unless you have another Wyler strap, you may be SOL. It would be interesting to see what is under the case.

I have always tried to stay away from watches that use unconventional ways of attaching the strap or bracelet to the watch. Easy to find bands, straps and springbars, but some of the other stuff, not so easy.

You can find Torx screwdrivers at any good hardware store. May need to take your watch to make sure you get the correct size. Take it home. unscrew the screws and see what's inside.

Description from wyler

However, a special compartment in the luxury watch box, finished in shrunk leather, contains a special Dakar

strap in the same leather, embossed with the cheich logo and Dakar inscription. The compartment also

includes the screwdriver for opening the inner case back to change the strap and two Allen keys for removing

the foldover clasp, as well as a USB stick with video instructions on how to change the strap. This not only

gives the owner a choice of two totally different looks, it also allows them to see first-hand one example of the

robustness of the watch, since the strap is fixed directly to the case with screws that pass through the upper

and lower tantalum plates.

Looks like you need a tiny tork screwdriver as the band seems to be removed by removing the really small screws on the backplate..

post-38788-0-78151000-1359511749_thumb.j

• Like 1

That Dakar watch was very unique for in the oversized ,but nice watch case it came in actually came with something usable,like the tools necessary for replacing the band.The Dakar came with an additional strap.

I pestered World Of Watches endlessly about getting that tool kit.As I mentioned I'm not even sure a standard sized Torx wrench would even fit since they wanted to steer you into their authorized dealership to hose you down again,problem is that don't exist anymore.

Great photo ,,,,,again,,,thanks all...

Edited by Thetoad