When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are these really patek s?

Lil princess

I was browsing the bay today and found a couple of patek phillipe watches that had gen movements but the cases were custom made. Can you really call these patek s?

I'm interested in getting one! They look amazing!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTRA-RARE-UNIQUE-PATEK-PHILIPPE-GENEVE-cal-19-lignes-from-1870s-with-BOX-/140909745134?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item20cee013ee

No you can't really call these Patek's.. They are basically pocket watch movements put into a modern case and uses the original pocket watch hands and a new dial as claimed. To me the hands do not look original, the movement is not pictured so it could be anything esp since patek old pocket watches from that era all had seconds at 6 not 9 like the one pictured.. So I doubt that it is an old patek movement..

Movement looks correct for an old Patek pocket watch movement; hounds tooth gears, correct bridges, etc.

Hands are likely correct as well.

Dial is a reprint.

As a pocket watch, the running seconds would be at 6:00; in wristwatch configuration, the seconds moves to 9:00 with the crown at 3:00. These are called 'marriage watches' as it marries an old movement with a new case. Because these are pocket watch calibers being used, the overall size of the watch is pretty big (typically 45mm+).

Thanks for the info! I've found a couple more. I'm really really tempted to get one of these! I love big watches and patek is my fave watch of all time! I know it might not be 100% patek but its only the case and dial? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PATEK-PHILIPPE-CO-GENEVA-20-JEWELS-CHRONOMETER-1896-/170982756025?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item27cf5dceb9 OMG! This is a beauty. Look at the movement too! I could look at this forever

I like that one more because it kind of celebrates the fact that it uses an old pocket watch instead of hiding it. Nice!
That's what I thought. :) Years ago, watch movements were sold to jewellers who then made cases for the movements to go in. This is what a lot of the high end watch makers did. So essentially that is what is happening there.

the last one with the swing lugs, may or may not be a Patek movement. It does not say Patek anywhere on the movement, the seller can say whatever he wants, but unless he has some sort of documentation that that paerticular movement was made by Patek and sold to A.H.Simon, it could have been made by anyone. 

This seems to be a big business, taking old pocket watch movements and putting them in a wristwatch case. Not much market for old pocket watches, unless they happen to be a rare complication, no one wears them today, so they end up in a display case. They buy these old watches pertty cheap, uncase the movement and if the dial is in good shape, use everything but the case, which if it's gold is sold for scrap.