When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement servicing: cleaning, mainspring and barrel

Hello,

I need some advice for servicing movements.

At the end of the last year I started servicing my own movements, I got some cheap ETAs that weren’t running, I disassemble them and take photos of each step, then I put them together and hope that they aren’t in a worse condition than before :D .

I clean each part (except the anchor) in 100% alcohol and use Moebius and Tillwich oil. It seems to work, no movement has broken down by now.

But the only thing I don’t know; what should I do with the mainspring and barrel? I don’t have a mainspring winder nor any special oils, greases or graphite.

What would be the best solution for me? Should I clean the barrel with the mainspring inside, but then how do I oil it?

I wouldn’t have a problem to buy a new mainspring each time I service one of my movements (every 5 years?) but what to do with the new mainspring, does it come pre-oiled?

And what would you recommend for cleaning? I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner and since I only service a few movements per year I don’t want to spend a fortune on super toxic cleaning solutions.

I’d appreciate every advice!

Thanks

Thank you!

So, I carefully remove the barrel top and arbor, put on safety glasses and remove the mainspring. Then I clean the barrel, take the new mainspring which comes held in that plastic ringy thing and put it into the barrel (since it's a new one, no need to oil).

How do I put the mainspring into the barrel? I know there is a tool for that, but can I do it by hand as well? And I've read about winding the barrel arbor a bit, but what is a bit?

Oh, and here is the second movement I serviced and decorated (ETA 2678), I rounded the angles, polished it, applied the Perlage and got it rhodinized. Now it sits in a small watch which I gave to my girlfriend for christmas.

emf_520790a2p.jpg

Thanks

Taking the balance staff apart wasn't that difficult, back together took me one night, a lot of nerves and a little help of a trained watch smith since I doesn't have all the right tools.

Everything done by myself except the rhodium (it's not worth buying all that stuff).

emf_5013c4jgf.jpg

emf_5047aej0m.jpg

emf_50516fjks.jpg

emf_50577qk1y.jpg

quick question what did you use to do the perlage? Im thinking about doing this with a swiss 2836 that i have on the way.

You can use everything. I use a felt bob with course polishing comound. I altered a cheap hand setting tool to do it manually. It gives me more accuracy and a better finish. With all due respect for the OP off course ;)

Example (although heavy duty using a machine)

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/27105-My-first-attempt-at-Jeweling

Hi,

I use so called pin-polisher, they are made of silicone and contain abrasives, they measure 20x2mm or 20x3mm, come in different grits and hardness, cost 0,30€ per pin.

64458_g.jpg

This watchmaker recommend the middle (grit/hardness) ones:

Cheers