When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

E Series Movement Gold Color

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I am still tinkering with things while waiting for the 127 to come back into stock and I have decided to tackle the lettering color. I bought a few gold leaf paint kits/ pens in different colors but I don't think they are right. Obviously the bridges are for the wrong movement but you get the idea. Here is the best that I have come up with so far. It looks a little too gold and rough compared to the genuine pictures I have seen. I was wondering if anyone had any better options or ideas to try. I also have to find a way to seal it so it won't come off in the cleaner. Here are the pics and thanks for looking.

9C754047-A912-45BE-9E4A-6FCFE8FA45C0-705

A12BE7B1-D176-4137-8D8A-40C7D45C22F3-705

Okay...This is take 5 or 6.  I have been trying different options as far as getting the gold color just right.  This is the most accurate I have come up with.  The best thing to do would be to get the engravings gold plated and then have the bridges rhodium plated while masking off the gold.  That is above my skill level and I don't know anyone that will do it near me.  Anyway, do you think this is closer?  Thanks!!!!

IMG_1028_zps6c8966f0.jpg

IMG_1025_zps31227021.jpg

IMG_1030_zpscc1ccb9e.jpg

That looks pretty good mate but it always help to see it under the glass and in situ..as getting to close at this skill point is very hard to feel satisfied...

How are you cleaning overspill out of interest I only ask because I can see what looks like above the 04..

But mate you are doing an awesome job... I am very envious of your efforts and ability :)

Thanks Pete,

You are absolutely right about the bleed over. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to get the bridge 100% clean. Everything I have done so far has been removed with acetone (even original paint). I will clean up the bridge and take some pictures under a caseback to see if that helps. Thanks again!!!

Here some extra shots I took today.  I tried to get the angle and lighting like the genuine shot and also took some under a glass caseback.  I still don't think the color is right but it is closer than the other things I have tried. At this point,  I am running out of ideas (except to have it plated).

62C04E27-CB3F-437B-B4DA-C3442838FE58-217

IMG_1038_zps0cea860a.jpg

IMG_1040_zps8b408507.jpg

IMG_1043_zpse380b096.jpg

IMG_1044_zps4c8f4f66.jpg

Thanks for doing that mate...it makes it much easier to assess from a personal POV.

The first thing that strikes my eye is just how much more the gen is more of a Rose Gold or even a Brass with high copper .... look at the wheels for comparison in lighting as it is..

So if you cant source an closer RG is it possible to find a coppertone admixture?

Afterall that what gives Rosegold its reddish tint

But in terms of giving the plates some gen life thats a great job mate :)

Your right of course and pics are like that ...sometimes I think we all place too much reliance on them inthis game when comparing and critiquing..

But my comment was based on the light as it is and looking at it compared to the balance and centre wheel colouration from that lighting...

I wonder if you could do it with a little copper paste like the plumbers use given the amounts I doubt it would effect the original compound...