When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate modding options for PAM 111 N Noob V3, do it, or don't do it?

netniet

I want to buy a new fully modded PAM 111 N Noob V3 directly from a well know watchmaker with the following modifications:

Incabloc Y shape fix ,
Longer swan neck screw replaced ,
Swan neck end side shaped ,
Swan spring shaped ,
1st to 3rd wheel brushed ,
Crown wheel & rachet wheel polish works (Asian parts) ,
Cannon pin flatten & polished ,
Movement serviced & regulated (+1/day now) ,
Water resistance mod works & testing to 5ATM .

Are these modifications  worth the total investment of $800 (incl.watch)? The Noob V3 is already a very good rep, which i want to buy for my collection, and i want to know if the mods are really adding value to the watch.

I know they are improving the quality of the watch, but is it necessary?

You are going to take a rep that without mods is 95% accurate and make it 98% accurate Is it worth it, that is your call What you are paying for the 3 percent is very high in comparison to the 95

+1. The real question is what is that little extra worth to you. In this case it looks like you are upgrading the asian movement for aesthetics. And presumably you are getting a warranty on the movement for some period of time so that is certainly worth something. It will look better and those mods require skill and take time but be forewarned that, no mattter how good the upgrades are, the 1% who have gens and actually look at their movements will know the movement is a rep and those that don't know wouldn't know it with or without the mods.

You are going to take a rep that without mods is 95% accurate and make it 98% accurate Is it worth it, that is your call What you are paying for the 3 percent is very high in comparison to the 95

+1 You're right, that's why i am not sure to do this kind of full modification, and what the benefit is of doing it. Maybe the best option is just to let him service the movement, and do some finishing work on the case and crown.

+1 You're right, that's why i am not sure to do this kind of full modification, and what the benefit is of doing it. Maybe the best option is just to let him service the movement, and do some finishing work on the case and crown.

That is what I would do. Simply service the movement to ensure longevity and do whatever aesthetic mods that are typically less expensive and visible on the wrist. Normally the things that come to mind are flattening the pin on the CG and potentially reluming if it isn't superlume. I don't know what the mods you would do to a crown or case though.

• 1 month later...

I'll go further and say don't even service the movement.

You can roughly estimate how a watch will run from QC pics, if not sure how to read timegrapher results check: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/143934-how-to-read-timegrapher-results/; refuse QC until you get a good one.

What's the point of spending more than 50% of the cost of a brand new watch on movement service?

The way I see it a full movement service is warranted only if:

1) You can do it yourself and you already have all the tools and expendables to do it.

2) It's a watch that you absolutely love and want to keep long term and there are no cost efficient Swiss movement alternatives, ex. 775x based flybacks and rattrapante chronos or 7754 based GMTs.

3) It's a high value franken that you already have exactly as you wanted.

4) It's one of those $598 reps, at which point it might become cost prohibitive to tie up so much money in them.

Otherwise with $300 reps you'll come out ahead even if your watch craps out tomorrow. Just buy the same model and you'll have it in two weeks as opposed to trying to get on a watchmaker's schedule, which can be anywhere from a month to infinity until you get it back. Also, when you buy a new watch, you can try a new strap, get a cooler serial number caseback or swap case parts with your old watch if the tolerances were better. Sell the dead one for parts at a steep discount - you can sell any current factory PAM with a dead movement for 50% of its cost under an hour on this or any other rep board.

I want to buy a new fully modded PAM 111 N Noob V3 directly from a well know watchmaker with the following modifications:

Incabloc Y shape fix ,

Longer swan neck screw replaced ,

Swan neck end side shaped ,

Swan spring shaped ,

1st to 3rd wheel brushed ,

Crown wheel & rachet wheel polish works (Asian parts) ,

Cannon pin flatten & polished ,

Movement serviced & regulated (+1/day now) ,

Water resistance mod works & testing to 5ATM .

Are these modifications  worth the total investment of $800 (incl.watch)? The Noob V3 is already a very good rep, which i want to buy for my collection, and i want to know if the mods are really adding value to the watch.

I know they are improving the quality of the watch, but is it necessary?

Is that price for a Swiss modded watch or just Asian?

I can't remember anymore if the movement was Swiss or Asian. But now a month later reading this i am thinking why would i wanted to spend this kind of money on some cosmetic upgrades? I rather now spend it on some good quality tools, and collecting parts to play around with, and eventually build a very nice grail watch which i can enjoy for a very long time, or service my Speedmaster Gen myself. Fixing or modding a watch you're self is more fun than just buying a modded watch.