When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

James Bond "Goldfinger" replica

Seanpnichols

Yup.  I bought mine a month ago.  The crystal profile is nicer, but it does only take a 26.5-28.2mm dial.  There's enough metal there to machine it and open it up for a 29mm, or just grind down a dial to fit.  

Alternatively, you could fit a Yuki 6538 in the "v2" tiger without any sanding.  Thinking outside the box, this might be a decent candidate for a 6542: no CG's, coin edge bezel, ...

Edited by jerkstore

ok yeah, must be a gen1 vs gen2 thing with the tiger cases then... got another email from tigerconcept stating that he special orders the dials for those cases and thats why his standard dials like the brown sterile one on his site (29.2) dont fit. Also just got pictures of an opened tiger case from another member on homageforum with a helenarou dial sitting in the back and it definitely does not go in all the way to the dial mount area... ill see if i can get them up here...

edit, jerkstore! you replied while i was typing! can you throw those pics you sent me on homageforum up here for the definitve visual for everyone? :)

Edited by shadeone

this might be a decent candidate for a 6542: no CG's, coin edge bezel, ...

That was my original intent. But the bezel is not deep enough for the thicker plastic one. And the ridge where the crystal sits is too high and can't be taken down far enough to clear the flat bottomed insert. 

That was my original intent. But the bezel is not deep enough for the thicker plastic one. And the ridge where the crystal sits is too high and can't be taken down far enough to clear the flat bottomed insert. 

A stainless insert, though, would just replace the existing one.  

Edited by jerkstore

• 2 weeks later...

any of you guy tried putting replacing the tiger dial with a 27mm yuki dial ?

I measured the rehaut dianeter on the v2 tiger case at 26.99mm. A Yuki dial would fall right through :( So, you can grind down a Silix or Helenarou to 28mm, or print a custom dial of that size. Apparent, the old tiger cases took a 29mm dial, but he's out of those and has no plans to make any more, as I understand it.

You can ask Tiger, but I think his crown takes a 0.9mm stem, which fits a DG2813 movement. The Rafflestime crown does, as well. As to whether a Rafflestime crown will fit a Tiger case tube, that I don't know. You can ask Tiger and Ken (Rafflestime) about their relative case tubes, to see if things match up. If not, you can overcome it if you have the right tube and a good modder.

Again, it's hard to find a rep 28mm dial, 6200 or 6538, or whatever. Unless you get it custom printed, you will have to get your hands dirty.

Get a 29mm dial from Ken for like $20. Grind 0.1mm from the rim at a time and try to fit it in the Tiger case. There are ways to do this. Be careful and it will work out. You can also try to go halfway and combine the dial work with shaving a bit off the rehaut to see more of the dial.

The Rafflestime case is the 'Tiger' case. Ken is sure to have a dial to fit it, and his crown/tube surely will fit 

as well. 

I made my own dial for the 6204, and the 6mm Brevet '+' crown/tube is from Rafflestime. The crown needs some shaping http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/140709-6mm-brevet-crown/?hl=%2B6mm+%2Bbrevet#entry1046879, but is great for the price. 

post-16926-0-94208700-1370477903_thumb.jpost-16926-0-25250800-1370477915_thumb.j

• Like 1

thanks for the input.

I have talked to both ken and helena which are extremely patient and prompt.

ken:

- dial is 29mm

- fits his case guaranteed.

---> if we consider jerkstor measurements.. it probably means that JoeyB is right and he has the tiger V1 equivalent.

Helana:

- the dial is 29mm

- but will be willing to shave it gently to 28mm (taking care of the enamel surface)

- probably will cost about 170 including shipment.

given there is a tiger case on the way what would you guys do?  :g:

Since it's already on the way, get the case and see what version you have. Maybe I got a fluke, and yours will take a standard dial size. After all, I only had an n=1 sample size.

If not, it's probably easiest to just sell it and buy a Rafflestime case. Why pay Helenarou extra for a dial that will look too tight once it's cased?

Whatever you do, make sure to tell us your tiger case measurements!

Hi have a question here..does that Rolex of the bond's series of movies..the goldfinger played any role in destroying the enemies..like the one Sean Connery used in one of the installments by taking a flame of the lighter towards the watch and exploding  something very far...something like that..just a silly question but an answer is much appreciated.

That looks great! My hands were shiny like that too when I got them, not very gilt looking so I used three sheets of sandpaper 400, 800, and then 2000. Literally just a few strokes with the hand down on the paper in the same direction lengthwise with 400, and then switch to 800 and 2000 to finish it off. It creates a gilt appearance, and of course they are way less shiny afterwards. This is the result

post-38788-0-59119800-1370968844_thumb.j

post-38788-0-26066900-1371013244_thumb.j

post-38788-0-15323600-1371013570_thumb.j

post-38788-0-67467400-1371013694_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's how I did the hands on my 6204. The rep silver hands are lightly plated brass. The sanding gives that gilt look. I used 1500 grit. It takes just a few swipes. Make certain to go in one direction, one swipe at a time. Nice and easy, I hold the hand using a toothpick in the pinion hole. Sanding back and forth can catch the pointy end of the hand and bend it back. I learned that real fast.

post-16926-0-94208700-1370477903.jpg

• Like 1

tiger concept update.

I just received the case- the build seems pretty solid, the bezel is bi directional non click and a little looser then what I would like (compared to the DSN vintage builds).

crown is bare, and pretty hard to unscrew.

bracelet is surprisingly good, no makings of course and there is the odd rivet slightly sticking out.. but is smooth, nicely finished and all the screws work really well. by cartel standards this is one very effective bracelet.

the plexi seems passable. not the huge silix dome i saw in some of the pictures, and not too shallow. I don't think I will mess with it for a while.

I ordered the matt dial and gold hands-

good- great big ball seconds, nice length of hands (correct me if I am wrong)

bad- the hands are too shiny, (will get right on cc33 sanding method- thanks) and the loom dots don't fill up the borders.

the dial opening in the case is slightly more the 28 mm- I am waiting on a dial from raffles and then I'll sand it down.

I must add that the seller was very communicative and proffesional, and shipping was fast!

PS does any one have a cheap and descent source for a brevet bracelet clasp?

here are some pics-

post-40287-0-36840100-1371030345_thumb.j

post-40287-0-86667000-1371030360_thumb.j

post-40287-0-85492200-1371030378_thumb.j

post-40287-0-07115100-1371030396_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

update.

I have received a raffles dial and aged the dial and hands-

* dial- dipped in coffe and oven baked for 2 min in 200C turbo mode

* hands- sanded to get the guilt look (think it worked) and then coffe and 5 min in the oven (not really sure about the effect)

I apologize for the crappy pics- I was really nervus  

7fmj.jpg

80vj.jpg

f3nn.jpg

ixdg.jpg

l7i0.jpg