When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datejust quartz?

Himtfuji

Yes, it is a genuine Oysterquartz, produced by Rolex as a way to migrate the line into the Quartz 'Revolution' (as it was then called) in the 70s.

Very collectible piece, but parts are becoming very scarce. Were it mine, I would contact your local Rolex service center (RSC) & discuss the servicing options. Best not to let Rolex replace any of the visible metal parts (dial, handset, winding crown, bracelet) as that would reduce the watch's overall collectible value, should you care about that. Also, a light polish, to remove most of the wear (while tool watches improve with wear, I think dress watches always look better in their pristine state), is all I would do (polishing to remove ALL the scratches will also modify the case's original shape/dimensions).

And congratulations on a nice find.

Here is your watch (you should always post good, clear pics here if you want a useful response)

8509046057_ac5790b7c6_b_d.jpg

8537690844_48301a8039_b_d.jpg

8541333192_3040493d54_b_d.jpg

The one in the picture looks to be gen-u-ine.

They were very well made with solid (not hollow) gold mid links and use the same bezel, crystal/gasket as a sapphire DJ...the tube/crown are regular 6.0mm parts. The date parts/hands are the same as a 3035 and clasp parts are same as a DJ. Dials, extra links, and movement parts are hard to find.

The catch is the older they get, the closer they are to circuit board or step motor trouble...look to pay $300 to $600 for a circuit board or step motor.

I have owned a few over the years but am afraid of them because of parts prices. Last one I traded for was a tutone OQ with goldtone dial in October 2010, running fine with a full set of links in super nice condition...I wound up with $1275 in it.

I traded it for a low mileage later model 6694 with original oyster bracelet and $600 ca$h.

No circuit boards in a 6694.

Edited by automatico

well what would be a fair price for me to sell ? it doesnt come with paper or box but 2 forums full of experts cant be wrong on its authenticity. what would be a price where i can sell quickly. this is the only other one i can find that is exactly like mine except in much better condition. w(3x).crownandcaliber.com/blog/beautiful-rolex-oysterquartz-datejust/

yes the diamond dial is oem rolex, the only thing about this watch that is not original is the battery because i had a local watch shop change it.  even he said it was fake.  but i guess he was wrong.  are you positive about $4k?  dang, its a good thing a member here rejected my offer to trade for his replica sea dweller + $300 cash,

Like I said, I had $1275 in my last one and this was on the top edge imho. When you own one of these things, you are betting it will run as long as you want to wear it or long enough to sell it.

Because of their spotty reliability (age related) and no parts, I call tuning fork Accutrons and rolex OQ 'light bulbs'. They can go from On to Off in the blink of an eye.

The reality is they do not sell at high prices except in 'mahogany, chrome and glass' jewelry stores and internet 'boutiques'.

It looks good so you should not have any trouble selling it.