When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CrPO pumpkin bezel mod (pics inside!)

DMS

The first thing I noticed when receiving the pumpkin CrPO was the shine on the bezel. It was exactly like the older version PO, too much shine compared to the newer CrPO that has a matte finish. 

Old style pumpkin bezel:

93030152.jpg

New style bezel:

84301623.jpg

So I decided to mod the bezel. A matte coating would possibly do the job. So step one was removing the bezel. Having done this on a PloProf before I thought heating it up would do the trick. Well, it did, after a wild ride... Blisters on my fingers (heated aluminium is no fun) as a result and a little scratch on the bezel later I could finally take it off. Remving the crystal if you have a press is a easier job (Sunnydale tried this before). 

The bezel off:

20693644.jpg

80021480.jpg

I popped the pearl out (was not sitting perfectly) and tipped the black triangle with a touch of black paint (Tamiya, plastic model paint) Then I went on spraying the bezel with three coats of matte clear coat finish. Then I reinstalled the pearl.

46311805.jpg

79455726.jpg

82339989.jpg

64814081.jpg

And a (test)fit on the watchcase:

60674399.jpg

73193567.jpg

29856375.jpg

It makes all the difference I think! What do you guys think? :D

Thanks for sharing your method but this sort of stuff always make me wonder how you feel afterwards? You get a matte bezel but a scratch in return. For me personally that would ruin the entire watch...

I often see members trying to correct a mistake and fock something up in the proces. Why can't we just accept certain flaws? We are dealing with a reps after all. The mind of a RWG geek works in mysterious ways 8)

Thanks for sharing your method but this sort of stuff always make me wonder how you feel afterwards? You get a matte bezel but a scratch in return. For me personally that would ruin the entire watch...

I often see members trying to correct a mistake and fock something up in the proces. Why can't we just accept certain flaws? We are dealing with a reps after all. The mind of a RWG geek works in mysterious ways 8)

I know exactly what you mean mate. Indeed it sucked big time that the scratch happened, but is was my own stupid fault...I was a bit f*cked up about not getting the bezel off quicker. 

But afterwards I am more happy with the matte result, repositioned pearl and triangle, ten the little scratch itself. Sounds cheeky but the scratch is way more visible in the photos then in real life.

Great mod dms, looks excellent, pity about the scratch. The matte coat really makes the bezel look gen now, really good idea, I think I'll try it in the future, I haven't got time to do a thing at the moment. I did notice that the bezels are bstard to get off though. A few weeks ago I tried removing the entire bezel with several methods that work for most watches and no go. I was just looking to change the pearl on the grey bezel but this mod looks great so may look into this one later. May get a pumpkin sometime as they look good. I think as you mention the best method is to go in from the case and remove xtal makes it easier to get at things.

btw, how durable is the matte coat varnish on a bezel? Usually it is great for mattifying dials but never tried a bezel insert with it.

Great mod dms, looks excellent, pity about the scratch. The matte coat really makes the bezel look gen now, really good idea, I think I'll try it in the future, I haven't got time to do a thing at the moment. I did notice that the bezels are bstard to get off though. A few weeks ago I tried removing the entire bezel with several methods that work for most watches and no go. I was just looking to change the pearl on the grey bezel but this mod looks great so may look into this one later. May get a pumpkin sometime as they look good. I think as you mention the best method is to go in from the case and remove xtal makes it easier to get at things.

btw, how durable is the matte coat varnish on a bezel? Usually it is great for mattifying dials but never tried a bezel insert with it.

Thanks mate! Heating the bezel does work, but indeed does take a lot of time and effort to get the final result. Removing the crystal makes it a lot easier. You can then get from the inside of the case to the bezel inside. With a sharp knife you can then cut the tape that holds the bezel loose. 

I did not have a crystal press and although they don't cost much, I couldn't wait any longer to get that bezel mod done.  ;)

The coating should resist water and UV (not yellowing) and it is pretty cratch resistant as I read some reviews on the net. We shall see how it holds...

• 2 months later...

Thanks mate! Heating the bezel does work, but indeed does take a lot of time and effort to get the final result. Removing the crystal makes it a lot easier. You can then get from the inside of the case to the bezel inside. With a sharp knife you can then cut the tape that holds the bezel loose. 

I did not have a crystal press and although they don't cost much, I couldn't wait any longer to get that bezel mod done.  ;)

The coating should resist water and UV (not yellowing) and it is pretty cratch resistant as I read some reviews on the net. We shall see how it holds...

Hi DMS,

I have orderd a rep CrPO, It´s my first replica. I have also bought matt clear cote from the local paint shop.

Now over to the problem:

1. I´m not a modder and aren´t confident enough to dissassemble the Eta movement from the watch in order heat uo the watch.

2. There are no good DIY of how to dissassemble the Eta movement from the watch.

3. Is it possible to remove the bezel assembly from the watch with applying a sharp knife between the case and the bezel assembly and then "wiggle" the bezel off? Then mask everything except the bezel insert and spray on the clear coat.

:-)

I am determend to clear coat the bezel insert. It is not acceptable with fading paint on expensive rep.

EDIT:

I found a DIY bezel assembly removal. Is this possible on the CrPO?

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=713

Edited by oktayan

End result looks part. For me the repositioning of the bezel pearl made a bigger improvement than the mattifying. It's only a shame about that scratch, still, if it's not too visible in real life then no sleepless nights. Only wish I was brave/talented enough to attempt this.

Hi DMS,

I have orderd a rep CrPO, It´s my first replica. I have also bought matt clear cote from the local paint shop.

Now over to the problem:

1. I´m not a modder and aren´t confident enough to dissassemble the Eta movement from the watch in order heat uo the watch.

2. There are no good DIY of how to dissassemble the Eta movement from the watch.

3. Is it possible to remove the bezel assembly from the watch with applying a sharp knife between the case and the bezel assembly and then "wiggle" the bezel off? Then mask everything except the bezel insert and spray on the clear coat.

:-)

I am determend to clear coat the bezel insert. It is not acceptable with fading paint on expensive rep.

EDIT:

I found a DIY bezel assembly removal. Is this possible on the CrPO?

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=713

hi there,

1. You can do it, if I can you can. It isn't that difficult. I will try and find a tutorial for the stem removal.

2. On it...:-)

3. Wouldn't do it with that particular method. A bezel remover should do the trick though.

End result looks part. For me the repositioning of the bezel pearl made a bigger improvement than the mattifying. It's only a shame about that scratch, still, if it's not too visible in real life then no sleepless nights. Only wish I was brave/talented enough to attempt this.

Thanx mate! The scratch is barely visible in real life, so no sleepless nights haha! :-)