When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I got called out today by a watchmaker...

jmarin.72

Well.. i was... but for the wrong reason :p  and since i think this is quite funny i thought i'd share it with you guys

This morning i received the Panda disco that i bought from that old dog we love to call :inverted: THE SIXXER , and as stated in

his sales thread the crown's threads were stripped, so he send me a gen crown/tube along with the watch for a proper

replacement :notworthy:

So i took the watchhead to a watchmaker who owns a small watch shop down town and services gen Rolex, Omega and other brands as well.

I walked into the shop and handed him the watch head and the gen parts that i needed him to replace for me, he takes the watch and asks me

if i was sure that the parts are the correct ones for this model, then he registers the watch to his system and hands me over a receipt with my name and

the watch brand.

Did not mention of course that this was a rep.... it slipped my mind completely... obviously ;)

So a few hours later i get a call from him.... he was quite polite and he asked me if... THE CROWN I GAVE HIM WAS A GENUINE EBEL OR AFTERMARKET OR PERHAPS THE WRONG PART NUMBER!!! :bangin:

Seems that the gen crown's inner tube is 1mm longer than the rep one and by realizing that he thought he should warn me just in case i had the wrong one.

He also warned me that if we install this crown the waterproofing of the watch would be compromised since it does not go all the way to meet the case profile, but he could use a special glue to make sure that the risks of getting water into the case would be significantly low.

I was surprised :huh: to be honest, but i told him that since these parts are hard to find he could proceed with installing this crown after being reassured that

all functions would be good (setting day/date, hour, manual winding)

Of course waterproofness is not the strongest point of reps so i really don't care if the watch meets the gen's waterproof specs!!!

So now i am waiting for the watch to be repaired and by Sat morning i will be able to get some wristies, hopefully ;)

Hope you find this interesting, i sure did :partytime:

As i pointed out in my original post, the tube/ crown were as a set, so the tube was there as well.

From what i was able to understand over the phone the crown was longer that the rep and could not screwed all the way down, but i will have to check it with my eyes

probably tomorrow and get back with more details

Well since i got the parts i will send it later over to Rolexman for a proper work, this is a temporary solution but i got no time currently to send it over nor i want to explain to the watchmaker that this is a rep (not that it will matter to him since he is non an AD watchmaker), so yes this will be treated properly later on

same thing happened to me...Brought an mbw 1680 case, 703 yuki tube, and 1.2mm gen springbars to a local watchsmith to  get the lugholes and tube hole fitted. Explained to him what had to be done  and the watchmaker comes out of his work area and tells me, "Its aftermarket sir, It wont fit!" 

I thought i explained it perfectly  the first time  and say "Yeah thats why I want it modded for  the bars and tube."

He tells me, " I wouldnt touch the CASE  if I were you. Just ditch  springbars and wrong tube and and get ones for rolex and your good to go."

I explain to him again thats its "aftermarket" and he tells me that he wont touch the gen case...ha ha