When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strange Rattling Sound from The Back Of My New Dan Ramon

I am a noob in need some help from the experts. I just received my Don Ramon yesterday from a TD and of course, it looks magnificent. It appears to be keeping correct time and the chrono function seems to work fine. However, when I move the watch in a circular motion, the self-winding rotor makes a kind of rattling sound, like maybe it is rubbing on something and needs lubrication. It's sort of hard to describe, and just wearing the watch on my wrist does not seem to cause the noise. Tapping lightly on the watch does make the noise. It sounds like the rotor may be loose or something not tightened. My RGRC does not make that noise, so I know that there is something slightly off, maybe not tightened or something. I am not high maintenance or particularly finicky but I don't want serious problems either . . .

Question for the experts: What should I do about it? Is indicative of a serious problem to come, something that can be ignored, something I should take to a local watchmaker that works on reps, or send it back to the TD for repair/replacement? I am pretty sure that the general consensus is not to send it back.

Thanks for the info.  The watch has been running flawlessly since yesterday, and it doesn't sound like a screw rattling around loose, because it seems to make a sound only when the rotor is swirled 360 degrees (or seemingly).  The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like the rotor may be slightly loose, or possibly rubbing on the case, perhaps.  I guess that the bottom line is to take it into a local watch repairer, take the caseback off and tell me what is going on.

Question 1:  How tough is it to take the case back off?  Is it as simple as unscrewing the back screws and and then screwing the back down again?

Now the big question: what should the TD do about it, if anything?  A QC inspection should have quickly disclosed the problem -- I heard it immediately after unpacking and swirling the watch.  On the other hand, no sense in spending time and energy shipping it back to China if it can be fixed for $40 here.  

On the bright side, the Don Ramon is simply gorgeous (although I am puzzled why they just dont put a gold AP logo on it like the gen -- it's not like they don't have any, my RGRC has one) and I will probably want to get this serviced anyway so it lasts me a long time!

Edited by Motoman4540

Hi Motoman.

I would highly recommend opening the case-back and having a look. Just unscrew the eight screws on the back with a decent quality flat blade screwdriver and you're in business. As others have mentioned, it could be something as simple as a loose rotor or some loose foreign object. Normally the rotor shouldn't make any contact with the case-back if the former is installed correctly.

Hi Motoman.

I would highly recommend opening the case-back and having a look. Just unscrew the eight screws on the back with a decent quality flat blade screwdriver and you're in business. As others have mentioned, it could be something as simple as a loose rotor or some loose foreign object. Normally the rotor shouldn't make any contact with the case-back if the former is installed correctly.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.  I had heard that there were reports of the rotor hitting the caseback recently, but honestly, it sounds like the rotor is a little loose. . . . just a guess.  Not sure that even if I see what's wrong, I'll be able to fix it, but I guess it's a start.  And FYI, IMAKNOCKOV, phenomenal work on the forged carbon cases!  I've been following your work and barely able to hold back buying one of the Puretime forged carbon GP's, which, rumor has it, you made!

OK, opened it up, obviously simple.  As far as I can tell, there was nothing at all out of place in there.  There were no apparently loose screws, no scratches on the inside of the caseback that would indicate rubbing, and the rotor looked fine, spun easily, and didn't appear to be rubbing on anything.  The whole thing looked very clean.  The "rattling" sound was very reduced without the caseback as well, so I guess its (1) watchsmith locally for an expert opinion and then (2) depending on that, back to the TD.  I assume that if I sent it for service to Vac (who is in Florida, like me), he would take care of that issue anyway, so I guess that's a third option.  But if the sound is from the rotor making even slight contact with the caseback, I don't see how that could be fixed without either grinding down the caseback, or using a slightly thicker o-ring, maybe.  Hopefully it wont come to that!

You could try removing the screw that holds the rotor, take the rotor off just so you can see if there are any rubbing marks on the movement.

Be aware that if you take it to a watchsmith and they poke around in it, the TD isn't really going to want it back to fix unless they personally know the watchsmith, as they don't know the watchsmith (or you) broke it by fiddling around out of curiosity.

If you like the watch and want it serviced properly so it'll last, send it off to Vac and he'll take care of that noise for you anyway. That's what I'd do.

I told my TD as soon as I opened the package, and so he knows about it.  He said to keep an eye on it and see what happens.  Still keeps fine time and I actually think the noise has improved a little since I removed the caseback.  Nonetheless, I was going to take it to a local watchsmith that works on reps, but I figured that since I love the watch, I already reached out to Vac, thinking that I might as well get it serviced.  Also, it doesn't look like the Don Ramon comes lumed, and I thought that maybe I would have him lume it while he had it, killing two birds with one stone!

• Like 1

:clap2:  :1a:  I love the Don Ramon, and so I have no problem getting it in tip-top shape.  I just hate to see it go for a month or so. . . . I may have to buy an AP Panda to alternate with by RGRC while I'm waiting, LOL!

And the long, slippery slope to rep-addiction begins :)

Have fun on the ride!