When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

116619 blue ceramic Sub built on BP case

sneed12

BlueCeramicRolex003_zps575969a3.jpg

Happened to see this TW Best ceramic submariner for sale a few months ago. Had never seen a blue one before, so I figured I'd grab it. The TW best Subs had better dials with better surrounds than the Noobs did. Now that the BP is out, the difference is small, but I don't think there's a BP blue ceramic yet and the squashed officiallycertified text bugs me on the black one.

However, the TW case isn't the best. So I ordered a BP sub

image_zps13b406ed.jpeg
and did a quick build.

I removed the blue bezel insert and did a quick platinum paint job using Duplicolor, the spray stuff--I'm willing to bet that pilworx's procedure is better, but I couldn't make it work for me. This does give you the changing color as the angle of the light changes, and the sparkle, but the color is a bit too grey compared to the gen. Gen platinum has a surprising amount of brownish copper color in it.

100_5001_zpsbc619c16.jpg

100_5003_zpsc9df6435.jpg

Movement, dial, hands installed in bare midcase
100_4995_zpsc0ed7dc7.jpg

Note the BP bezel spring arrangement. I wonder if the gen is like that. This is a pain in the ass, but it does give very good bezel feel.

Gen crystal installed, bezel insert test-fitted

100_5000_zpsfad43ace.jpg

BP pearl installed next. Centering was a breeze since the post on the back of the pearl is much bigger than the hole in the TW bezel insert

100_5005_zps59e91a36.jpg

and I used a lot of glue to ensure it was secure and wouldn't move around.

Completed watch (still have to clean some paint off the bezel, and I think the crystal needs to be straightened--reinstalling the BP bezel is a huge pain in the ass)

100_5009_zpsd11e4c3c.jpg

100_5010_zps31e5d7d3.jpg

100_5011_zps71028d37.jpg

Check out the black hole

100_5012_zps683408cf.jpg

Only minor disappointment was that the BP tube will not accept a gen crown. Sticking with the rep crown for now. The coronet is ok but seems to be more the older tall/skinny early 703 style. Eventually I'll get around to installing a clark tube and WM9 crown on this.

Can you not replace the BP tube for gen?

Great work though my friend, you are just like me, I love to tinker, and experiment :)

I agree, the gen AR is killer.

Edited by SSTEEL