When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Tritium Dials for Sports Models?

drainaps

Gentlemen,

I've painstakingly browsed the forum, and I have come to realize that many of the Tritium-like dials used in the very nice watches presented can be spotted as not being the real thing from miles away. Lume plots are, in many cases, an immediate eyesore.

Speaking of the non-gilt dials of the later 1960s to 1980s, with very flat (never puffy) lume plots in the real thing, can you please recommend a source of credible aftermarket dials that do not scream "not original" from miles away?

Your help on this topic will be greatly appreciated. Enjoy your Easter Sunday.

One thing is getting a good dial. When you don't want to spend big money for a gen dial, go for a NDT, ingod, Yuki, Minh (...) dial, then get it to a skilled modder who does great lume jobs.

And by the way, from the 70s to the 80s; there are dials with that puffy lume as well.

Hope this helps. Happy Easter!

It helps and thanks.

I'm reasonably aware that dial lume puffiness comes back and forth in the 70s/80s sports models too, depending on specific dial makers, but just wanted to make a quick point without making a dissertation (I'm not qualified to make one anyway). Point taken though, with thanks. :-)

Thanks for the heads up. Any suggestion on how to find a good dial "modder"? I'm new to this world and I'm looking to replace a 7928 Tudor Sub Rose dial. Rest of the watch is the real Mc Coy.

In any case I see Yuki dials are World Champions in the puffiness department for models that should have flat lume....

Edited by drainaps

When it comes to recreating tritium dials my approach has always been to find a gen watch with a dial "condition" I like and go from there. I have owned a number of vintage Rolex gens over the years and the puffiness factor has always been fairly random. But I do have to agree that a number of the rep vintage dials are just way too puffy. IMHO, when tritium degrades it is more likely to flake off and leave non-symmetrical markers rather than puffing up. The other thing is that often people take too aggressive an approach in browning their tritium. But once again, find that gen you love and mimic that. :)

• Like 1

My question? If everything else about your watch is the"real McCoy", why not get a gen dial to replace the one that's in it now? I bet you will pay almost as much for a minh dial as a gen Tudor dial, then you would enhance the value of your watch rather than degrade the value.

there's no good aftermarket dial with good tritium plot, imho. i would just get an aftermarket dial and send it to a good watchmaker to relume (The Zigmeister, Kent, vac). unless you are using a gen movement, you dont want to ruin an expensive gen dial.