When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mark XVI....I got a dud, can anyone help ?

kevshed

hi all,

I bought a Mark XVI from a TD a couple of months ago... It's sat in the watch box, and today was the first time I tried it .. Sadly, it's completely DOA, I can't get the movement going, the date wheel won't adjust and it sounds very noisy. I've just had the black off and don't see anything obvious, tomorrow I'll take a closer look, but I'm assuming its my turn to get a dud.

Guess I learnt my lesson for not testing when it arrived !

assuming I can't get it going (limited know how) can anyone offer any advice or recommend perhaps someone on the forum that could take a look.... Presumably based in the UK.

Thanks,

kev

Sad to hear. I assume it is the newest version with A 2892? The Asian 2893 seems to be more troublesome than the 2824 and 2836 clones.. :( I remember The Zigmeister will not work on the A2892.

My Mark XVI died after a month of intermittent use. I sent it off to Domi in Germany for service, and it has been loyal ever since. It also feels better when setting time and date. It is such a great watch, well worth to have it serviced. 

I bought the new Mark XVII with the same movement, and actually paid extra to have the movement serviced before shipping. So far it runs good (fingers crossed).

• Like 1

Hi All,

pleased to say - that i managed to get it going today.... quite pleased with myself as i'd not really been brave enough to play with a mechanism before :) 

Problem was a stuck balance wheel.. took no more than i slight touch to get it moving. 

For those noobs like me - I found an excellent resource on that ETA web site that shows full assembly instructions for all their movements...  this helped me understand how to remove the auto-wind mechanism and understand what i was looking at !! 

Only thing i couldn't 'fix' was the noise... turned out, it was the 'dust cover', it clearly didn't fit properly and moved around under the case back or was touching the auto-winder weight - regardless of how much i tightened the back... to resolve, i've removed it... i'm sure it will be fine :)

Just in case others want the info - its here:-

https://secure.eta.ch/CSP/DesktopDefault.aspx 

click on technical documents, then select 'all product ranges' in the 'product range' drop down - then, in the 'Caliber' drop down menu - choose the mech you are interested in ... voila, tech docs galore... 

thanks all..