When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help find Asia 2824 to repair Abyss, Breitling

I bought a Breitling Superocean Abyss in June, 2011. I used it a lot the first year, ie more or less a daily beater. Shortly after it stopped, and I used other watches.

I brought it to Thailand and got it repaired, the repairman didn't say a lot and I hoped he had changed the movement. Didn't get an answer and he said of course " a year" and I thought sh.t!

The watch went perfect not slowing or fastening, however after a month it stopped, then going 2-5 sec and stop for some sec and going for some sec, etc.

When I brought it to repairman in Thailand he said it had had a shock. I did not use it when doing manual labour, however after it stopped I shaked it a lot around.

There is a retired watch repairman close to where I live so I hope I can get him to change movement on this. (He doesn't do complicated repairs anymore, so I hope he will do this)

I paid about USD 270 + post, and paid too much for the repair  :huh: , so I thought getting an Asian 2824 and getting someone to change this.

Trying to find an asian 2824 seems a bit difficult, although some on ebay.

From watchuseek.com comparison ETA 2824-2 , Seagull ST-2130, TY2130 and HZ 6300.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/how-do-seagull-hangzhou-compare-eta-depth-look-216945.html

1. The link above does say that these movements are about the same, but I am unaware how to find the right replacement?

Is this a match?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETA-2824-2-AND-SELLITA-SW200-CLONE-MOVEMENT-SEAGULL-ST2130-100-EXACT-SAME-SPECS-/121081456572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c310467bc

How to specify a movement that fits?

2. Pitfalls?

3. Good to load up with movements? I have different movements like 4813, 2824, 7750, quartz, etc.

Was a bit disappointed that this "simple" movement stopped.

4. surprised that these movements cost after I heard on this forum earlier that a movement like this costs USD 25.

5. Also heard this model, the Abyss had a tube weakness, my watch has been easy to fasten crown after adjustment.

I know some watches fail and others go for a long time, that is also my experience.