When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster James Bond "40 years"

Guest khashayar

Guest khashayar

Dear RWG:ers,

My father passed me his Omega Seamaster Rep which he bought in the early times of the now enormous rep industry.
It features a Swiss movement, and is in terms of weight pretty near perfect to the gen. The lume is outstanding for its early time (2006), and is still tracking time like day 1 (doesn't lose more than ± 3 seconds/day for 3 days of consecutive testing). The 120 click bezel works great, and the triangle at the top of the bezel is pretty centered.

I'm planning to wear this until the 2nd batch of the PO's come out, and then replace with a 45.5 mm PO. The problem with this watch is the little dot in the triangle at the top of the bezel (see photos). It's colour compared to the ones inside the watch, is way off, thus being a big giveaway.  Does anyone know any way - without needing to spend too much - to fix this error? Popping it out, repaint it (jk!)?

Any tips would be helpful. Here are some pictures (taken with my iPhone):

post-52261-0-81641200-1365334206_thumb.jpost-52261-0-92228600-1365334224_thumb.jpost-52261-0-24759300-1365334240_thumb.j

Guest khashayar

So with other words, not wearing this at all may be a better solution (since it is too much of a giveaway)?

The AR is pretty bad also (if at all existing). Time to buy a new, perhaps?

Just get a fingernail in at the edge of the pearl and pop it out. It'll look better without it ;) . As mentioned above you can buy inserts on ebay, the pearls still aren't great, but are a little better than the one above. Tbh, basic smps havent come on much in rep terms, yours is probably better in many ways than some of todays smps. If you want a half decent current smp rep the chrono is a good one. Also the planet ocean reps are good. We are still waiting for an up to date improved basic smp. A ceramic version would be nice.

Guest khashayar

Just get a fingernail in at the edge of the pearl and pop it out. It'll look better without it ;) . As mentioned above you can buy inserts on ebay, the pearls still aren't great, but are a little better than the one above. Tbh, basic smps havent come on much in rep terms, yours is probably better in many ways than some of todays smps. If you want a half decent current smp rep the chrono is a good one. Also the planet ocean reps are good. We are still waiting for an up to date improved basic smp. A ceramic version would be nice.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I'm currently looking at the PO from trusty. I've heard some issues about the AR on the 45, and the liquidmetal logo on the back. Would you suggest that it would be more wise to wait for v2? And when do you think it will be available?

Also, I've mailed trusty about the new omega seamaster 300 chronometers that don't have a "wavy" background, but instead have a solid, sleek uni-colored face (can be viewed on omegas site), if we can see such a rep soon. He told me that the factories are currently working on it, so it'll be available in a couple of months. I don't really like the chrono versions of any watch ;)

Actually, I've got the same watch. My rep pearl is a little lighter than yours. the insert color on yours is ok. Remember, 007's were 20-30 years ago. colors change over time. As for the pearl, I've seen some early gens for sale and the color of the pearl is not that much different than yours.

Guest khashayar

No problem, I'd wait for the V2 on the PO, unless you want the 42mm....also you're in luck mate, good timing, not quite the plain ceramic smp, but this looks the best for a long time ;)

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/157945-new-50th-an-smp-is-up-on-pc/

I'm up for the 42 mm as well, but I've heard some issues about the general quality of the watch compared to the 45 mm. And another problem about the "O" in the omega looking... Weird.

Do you have any experience with the ceramic PO's?

Guest khashayar

Actually, I've got the same watch. My rep pearl is a little lighter than yours. the insert color on yours is ok. Remember, 007's were 20-30 years ago. colors change over time. As for the pearl, I've seen some early gens for sale and the color of the pearl is not that much different than yours.

Hmmm.. I googled and found some pictures of the gen (the exact same model). The pearl is way off in terms of colour. So I popped it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to have this rep 4-5 years back, now it is with my brother, to be frank the quality of this rep is below average really, from the removal of links to getting your good fit was a nightmare, it had no microlinks, it had the screws helding the links together and would easily break, loose thread and eventually get stuck..arrrgh those were the days, immediately I jumped on the rep game before discovering these foras RWGforum, RWG, RG, RWI and had these canal st quality replicas that taught me which is the best and worst in the game, you may wanna make this as a base for a franken since it has its sentimental value to you mr, kashayakar.

Guest khashayar

I used to have this rep 4-5 years back, now it is with my brother, to be frank the quality of this rep is below average really, from the removal of links to getting your good fit was a nightmare, it had no microlinks, it had the screws helding the links together and would easily break, loose thread and eventually get stuck..arrrgh those were the days, immediately I jumped on the rep game before discovering these foras RWGforum, RWG, RG, RWI and had these canal st quality replicas that taught me which is the best and worst in the game, you may wanna make this as a base for a franken since it has its sentimental value to you mr, kashayakar.

Thanks for your tips, but the watch is now long gone and has been replaced with a ceramic seamaster 300m, which I've reviewed here on rwg.